• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHAT IS THE BEST BUY ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHAT IS THE BEST BUY ?

I'm not going to do either ,a bred cow for 2000.00 or a acre of land 1500. to 2000.00 ?

Land is always the better buy.

Comment

I think this is a great question!

This is partly a devils advocate response, but land hasn't been even close the past 12 months. Could have had a 50% return on the bred cow alone, plus an extremely profitable calf.

Sorry that "always" got me revved up 15444, haha

Be an interesting project to look at some projections though dluther.

Comment

where is the land at?

Comment

I have figured the math on this and indeed it is complicated because a cow is not a stand alone asset. You can pay the taxes on land, and collect rent quite simply. A cow in a lease share is likely the closest comparison.

Having tried to calculate this many times, I figure a cow should return more than land as she is livestock and can be deadstock, with a higher risk factor more net returns should be in order.

I figure there are as many formulas to calculate this and in the end I believe the equasion comes down to: which do you prefer a cow or a tractor.

Comment

Cattleman I think we should get the government to start a TASK FORCE OR INQUIERY on this subject. We could let it last for 5 years and we wouldn't have to do either. Have a happy, happy day.

Comment

I hate to buy land at the top when everyone wants it. Our best buys have been when things looked tough and no one wanted to buy land.

Crop land demand is likely a little slower now and with low interest rates it might be a good time to grow.

Good luck, always a tough decision and hard to tell anyone what is best for them.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...