• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anthrax confirmed in North Dakota beef cow

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anthrax confirmed in North Dakota beef cow

I came across the following story this morning. I am curious, who currently vaccinates their cattle against anthrax?

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — State Veterinarian Susan Keller is urging North Dakota ranchers to make sure their livestock are vaccinated against anthrax, after the first confirmed case of the year in a Barnes County beef cow.
    Anthrax bacteria spores lie dormant in the soil and become active under extreme weather conditions such as flooding or drought. North Dakota usually has a few anthrax cases every year. An outbreak in 2005 is believed to have killed more than 1,000 cattle, bison, horses, sheep, llamas, and farmer deer and elk.
    Keller says an effective anthrax vaccine is readily available through licensed veterinarians, but it takes about a week for immunity to take hold.

Some do in parts of manitoba where it's been found in the past. Usually in the south east corner of the province. It goes way back to buffalo days.

Comment

Interesting… do you think more cattle ranchers should be vaccinating their herds against anthrax. So this has been going on for year and years? You mentioned “buffalo days.”

Comment

Apparently Hungary is dealing with anthrax in beef and someone has gotten ill from it. Wow. I had no idea it could be that serious.

Comment

It was present in the days before cattle arrived here. The bison had trouble with it too. If one died, the place where it dropped became a future source for the next outbreak. The spores multiplied while it decomposed, and waited for the next wet spell to start the cycle again. That's why cattle who die from it cannot be buried.

Comment

Thanks for the info kato.

I never really know that before. How do they dispose the cattle if they cannot be buried then?

Comment

i believe burning is the only way.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...