• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaking up old pasture

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking up old pasture

A true story: A friend of mine, who is a large hay producer, rented the land surrounding the local airport (430 acres) this spring. This was old hay/pastureland full of thistles, absinthe, yarrow, etc.

He brought in a custom breaking outfit that plowed and then rototilled. This cost $100/acre. He said he had to work it 4 more times (disk and harrow).

Because it was around the airport he had to plant canola. Roundup ready. So canola this year and underseeded to hay on canola next year.

He is paying $50/acre/year on the first two years and $85/acre/year on the next three.(bid on this by tender)

Now I thought this was a pretty pricey proposition, but it is good flat land and he does pretty good selling hay for export to Japan and the Florida racetracks. He has his own hay plant that compresses the large square bales.

I saw him in late July and asked how the haying was going....he said I'm still trying to find the right tree to hang myself from!

A fool and his money soon will be apart.

Comment

Like I said...I thought it was pricey....but then I don't know the ins and outs of the high end hay business.

He tries to do leases as much as possible, because land is just not available for sale in this area. He bought one really good quarter last year for $510K and got outbid by the Hutterites on another.

He usually does about 4000 acres a year and buys quite a bit more for his hay plant.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...