• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a New Bull

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a New Bull

I have been kind of half assed looking around for a new bull. My cows are getting pretty much straight Angus and I am considering a Sim this time.
    I have a long time Sim breeder near me, who has an excellent reputation for good useful cattle and honesty. I bought a couple of bulls from him in the early 90's and they worked very well. Also have bought semen from him.
    I asked him if he would sell a calf right off the cow and he said yes...but there were a few he wouldn't sell (he has an annual yearling bull sale with high prices)...which I am okay with....I don't need his best, just a good solid commercial bull. I hope I can get a good calf for $2500.
    I don't like to buy yearlings that have been pushed....and the fact is if a breeder wants the big bucks he has to push them!

Red? Black? Fleck?

Comment

or Blaze Red or Black

Comment

There you go - 5 choices and only one is a
        Simmental, lol.

Comment

grassfarmer--Now what are you trying to tell us!!!!

ASRG----Crossing a simmental on your angus --sure would give you a nice set of calves. Both steers and Heifers.

Comment

Colour means zero to me....although I prefer black. I don't like horns.
            I've done alot of cross breeding (char, gelvieh, limo, south devon, etc.) over the years, and Simmental doesn't scare me one bit! I just kind of liked the Angus calves and cows. Maybe just want a little extra kick!

Comment

Depends what kind of extra kick you want - if its
              heterosis you are after there should be plenty
              available without changing breeds.
              If it's the other kind of extra kick you want the Saler is
              a good choice.

Comment

We have been running red angus/simm bred back red angus for years. There are lots of choices out there. Even the power bulls out there give us virtually no calving problems, unlike the charolais we used to run years ago. Great weaning weights, longevity in the cows on hard grass.
                With the new breeding out there, we can run medium bodied straight red simmental, angus or crosbred bulls and get basically the same calf. The best milkers do go backwards more in the summer if groceries are a little short, though.

Comment

The Fleck calves are to stupid to get up by themselves. Best suited to farmer/barn calving.
                  Solid colored calves have more vigor but still may require a more experienced mother to get them going if the weather ain't great.

Comment

I happen to know of a very solid breed with some hibrid vigor for ya ASRG.

Comment

Your way could very well be the future Randy, but I'm just raising the dreaded "commodity beef". I have to raise what Cargill and XL want!
                      If I was a young man I might look at it differently.

Comment

A breed with hybrid vigor Randy? thats an oxymoron
                        surely?

Comment

Okay GF - a breed that would "add" hybrid vigor.

Yes a breed with hybrid vigor is an oxymoron, but there are lots of people raising these cross bred bulls and lots of people buying them. Does that make them all "oxy's" or simply "morons"...LOL

Hope I hid this post deep enough that not too many people read it. "Always sell on yer positives" they say....LMAO

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...