• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yearling Prices Nothing to Write Home About

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yearling Prices Nothing to Write Home About

I stopped in at my local auction sale last Wednesday for a few minutes. I was doing a quick twine run so didn't see a lot of cattle sell, just a few pens of yearlings.
    Some fairly decent black heifers 730 lbs. brought $1.2150, which I guess isn't bad, but off about 5 cents from two weeks before.
    The auction barn is having their first presort today for calves. Unfortunately I've got to get some bales hauled so can't make it, but it would be interesting to see if the buyers are going to back off the price?

ASRG, last year I heard some were expecting 2000 dollar bred heifers this fall. So of course I kept back 80 head. What do you think is going to happen?? Maybe a guy just should keep them to calve out?

Comment

nicollass:You are really asking the wrong guy! I have no idea how this market is going to play out.
      I "suspect" $1300-$1600"......but agian I have no clue.
      ALLFARMER seems to be the heifer guy....maybe he could give you some answers? TNT might also help you out?

Comment

This is also my domain. I have listened and asked for a formula different producers have used to justify the $$$ they would spend on buying a heifer. Here are a few that come to mind.

1)Twice the value of a steer price in late fall. Dec market is best time to sell a steer IMHO and that is also bred heifer season.

2)Some relate salvage value of old cow to the price willing to pay for a bred heifer.

3)I am always selling my top steers in the same market I buy bred heifers in.

4)I have tried to look at costs of retaining your own heifers, grassing and going long the value of vs the price of purchasing. When you are in a tight cross bred market and trying to keep your herd uniform, minimize the bull power and sell breeding stock I believe you have to keep very disaplined in your approach.

Comment

interesting SADIE. I have always kept back heifers, prefer a closed herd to keep disease out and a more uniform bunch. I've heard it does not make economic sense, but I do like to take a bit of pride in the old cow herd. I do know it does not take long to sell large even bunches at auction, just not sure if I get more money that way than if they sold in smaller bunches.

Comment

nicolass: You might advertize them (if you are selling) on the Alberta Ag web site "Ropin the Web". Just click on "General Store" at the top and go to "livestock for sale".
            Doesn't cost anything and apparently it works fairly well. I don't think you have to be in Alberta to advertize them.

Comment

We have had fantastic luck on kijiji and
              our website. If you are going to
              advertise in print, I would recommend the
              Western Seducer...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...