• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The end of the pig business

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The end of the pig business

After years of tough returns in the hog business in Canada, it looks like a complete loser? Despite being "super efficient" hog producers just can't seem to make a buck?

What got me thinking about this was something grassfarmer said about making some pretty good money on "pasture hogs".

When I was a boy, my Dad raised a bunch of hogs in a pasture type situation. He had two pastures about 5 acres each, all well fenced with page wire. Every spring he planted these to an oats/barley mixture. There was another smaller area where he had these little wooden huts and some self feeders. There was a runway from this area down to a cribbed spring that never froze.
    The sows only had babies once a year, usually in early June....probably averaged about 8 babies a year. Everything lived together (except the boar).
    Now I don't know if he made any money at it or not? They sure seemed to eat a lot of ground barley, as well as all the skim milk from the milk cows and all the junk from the garden and kitchen. He used to throw them a square bale of alfalpha one in awhile in the winter.
    The pastures grew an unreal crop and by fall they had her pretty well all rooted up and chewed down. I guess they were sort of rotationally grazed.
    I don't remember those pigs being a lot of work (except for always grinding grain). My Dad would let the sow out of the little hut she had her babies to eat/drink and then he'd get in there and work the babies over.
    Anyway he never really liked those pigs very much and one day we just loaded the whole works up and shipped them to town!
    I often wonder though if that wasn't a healthier way to raise pigs? I know the ham, bacon, pork was sure a lot tastier than this junk you get today!

We just run the hogs in large grassed corral pens that
    don't see much summer use otherwise, its a simple
    system that utilises an underused resource to earn
    some extra revenue.
    Isn't the picture you outlined symptomatic of all
    livestock agriculture or indeed all agriculture? The
    intensification and specialization in one
    species/system that has taken place since the 50s or
    60s has been a failure for farmers/ranchers incomes.
    It's been good for the processors and retailers but
    bad for producers.

It seems to be human nature to be impressed by
    "bigness" and scale but I have never understood the
    thinking that where something has low profitability
    per animal the solution is to run more animals under
    the same system.
    I think the "economies of scale" argument gets
    promoted a bit too much. Sure it might be more
    efficient to spread the cost of a tractor over 200 cows
    instead of 100 but the cost saving pales into
    insignificance if you buy the land for the extra
    hundred cows at $2500/acre.
    Maybe we need to rebuild agriculture from the
    ground up? family farms that look after their land
    resources better and adopt more diverse production
    systems with more species and less reliance on
    outside inputs. We certainly have a consumer base
    interested in supporting that kind of agriculture
    through their food purchases.

Comment

"less reliance on purchased inputs".

Bingo!

That's both the problem and the solution. It's a solution for the producer, but a problem for the army of suppliers that have grown up under the bigger is better, high input climate we're in. Those guys have government convinced that agriculture can't be done any other way, and they have the money to make sure they can keep on convincing them.

In the long run, IMHO, it's not sustainable.

Factory pigs are only the first casualty. Economy of scale is a two edged sword. It multiplies a profit, but it also multiplies a loss. And a big feeder barn goes on, no matter what the market is.

I agree that the pork we raised back when the pigs saw daylight and ran around the pasture tasted ten times better than that junk they sell now. The modern pig is raised indoors, on cement, way too fast, and from day one the air it inhales is spiced with what wafts up through the slats it lives on. No wonder I can smell barn when a pork chop hits the frying pan. Thank goodness for garlic salt.

However, there's a movement afoot amongst consumers to reject the factory farm scenario. I know someone will pipe up and say the majority of consumers only care about cheap food and don't care how they get it. I will agree that there are some people like that, but not as many as we think, and the trend is heading away from the factories at a steady pace, not toward it.

Every million pound cross country meat recall that happens gives it another shove toward the independent farmer. You can't even buy salad any more without wondering if it's contaminated. People are starting to think that there's got to be a better way. And the government doesn't have a clue. They just keep on drinking the Kool Aid and bowing down to the multinationals.

Comment

Why do they cut the tail off pigs in pig barn?

Comment

dluther: I think it is because the pigs are so bored or stressed out, or whatever, that they go around biting their buddies tails! Never had that problem out in the pasture....which is their natural habitat?
          Kind of sick when you think about it? What have we done to these animals and their social structure?

Comment

They do it in the barn cause it's too hard to get them outside. :-)

Comment

Same reason they cut the beaks off chickens.

Comment

With grain prices where they are and will continue
                to be for a while (us drought) they must be done.
                I can't see where any hog producer can pencil a
                profit with these prices. Three years ago they
                were barely above water.

Any ideas what to use a 150' x 400' barn for? My
                neighbor bought 100 acres and the barn 3 years
                ago with all contents for 300,000 I bet he would
                sell for 200,000 today. Barn went broke 3 times in
                5 years. Barn is about 12 years old.

Comment

The answer is they say it takes a bushel of grain to put the tail on which has no use,but a happy pig has a curl in it's tail and I'll bet the ones in barn are not happy.The wife cooked a ham the other day from our ranch raised hog and did it ever smell good.

Comment

ALLFARMER: Dope might work!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...