• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sadie and others

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sadie and others

What would you recommend I vaccinate my new
    heifers with? Their going to be run thru and
    branded any way so maybe for few more $
    could be easy work done/ insurance. I plan to
    drop them straight off truck onto pasture with my
    existing herd. I could put them on a smaller
    seperate pasture but I think they will calm down
    quicker adding them to existing cattle.

I'll wade in here. Bare minimum.. IBR/BVD If you do nothing else, you must do this.

This is our pet peeve. Nothing makes us more angry than some expert sitting in the bleachers at the auction mart saying "I never vaccinate for BVD, because I never have a problem." Ya, that's because the problem shows up in the calves when they hit the feedlot, and these guys don't know it.

We use the 4 way BVD combo shot, then for heifers, do scour vaccine in early winter, with a booster before calving. Cows just get one scour vaccination, but the heifers need two.

Comment

There may be issues around adding newly vaccinated cattle to pregnant cows unless the original cows were done with a live vaccine when open?

Just saying because we had a couple abort one time because of the way we vaccinated. So unless your existing cows are open you might want to check into that.

Sadie could tell you.

Comment

Ditto on the IBR/BVD and 8 way. You must be turning bulls out later so no worries about shedding to pregnant cows. In fact it might give your other cows some immunity. Depending on their vaccination history your heifers might get a little fever but I would guess for only 2 or 3 days. Better to vaccinate than just hope for the best IMO. Good Luck. HT

Comment

Would also talk to your local vet to cover anythng that they may have noticed in the last few years.

Comment

Allfarmer--two needles needed to cover basics. 7 Way Sleeper (somnugen) and IBR BVD component. Express 5, Pyramid or Bovishield are three products that come to mind.

Ideally want to vaccinate slightly before the bulls go out but Ive vaccinated the bulls the same day as the females and let them go at it.

Comment

Thanks all for your constructive imput

Only had 800 head at the sale...everyone's got
              grass. Only managed to get 7 head out of the 40
              we were targetting. Order buyer next week will try
              for the rest.

Got the 8 way, ivomec, bvd and forget off the top
              of my head what all else. Visited mom and dad
              and a couple old neighbors so was a good trip.
              Can't wait till they get all of Hwy 88 paved 160km
              to go, supposed to be done by next fall. Did
              some major 4x4ing thru the construction. We
              finally are getting the rain. Cheers

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...