• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polaris vs Arctic Cat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of things you can use a quad for but do they
    generate enough extra net income to justify owning
    an additional vehicle? Seems to me all the tasks
    quoted could be accomplished on most places with
    an existing tractor or truck.
    I got a kick out of Sadie's post that his herd respects
    the noise of the quad ... kind of like respecting a
    good collie dog eh? I've yet to see a vehicle of any
    kind that can turn sharper than a person on foot
    who is paying attention to the task at hand. It would
    seem they could be dangerous machines in the
    hands of people lacking knowledge of livestock -
    chasing a calving heifer 1/2 a mile in 5 minutes
    maybe makes you feel like you've "won" and are in
    control but it's really pretty dumb.

Comment

They certainly can be dangerous GF....especially if someone get's a little hot headed....but I am slowly learning ;-0
      I do find them much easier and quicker for stuff close to home, getting on and off for gates and fencing, etc. For our farm it is as important as any piece of equipment and I think it was a great way to start my girls off on operating and driving....although I am sure many thought I was an terrible father for allowing them so young, however I think it paid great dividends.

Comment

Our cows used to do this when I still had my old horse, and they do it now with the quad......

When it's time to come back to the yard to get sorted, loaded, and hauled to pasture, those old girls know what's going on. They see it every spring. Trouble is they can't think past the fact that the calves are going to be separated. It doesn't matter that there's fresh new pasture and freedom at the other end. That's the cow brain at work. Therefore, any time near the end of May, if you go out to get them and bring them up, they will go ANYWHERE, but through the gate. If we're on foot, they know they can outrun us, and they will even go so far as to split into 125 groups of one to outwit the dogs. Dog respect goes out the window.

Except... when they see the quad. Or a horse. Then it's like they don't even try. They know they can't outrun anybody then. They just collect up, go through the gate, and march to the yard.

They're smart and dumb at the same time, but they know when they've lost their advantage, and when to give in and get with the program. It's pretty funny to watch.

Comment

I have a 2006 Yamaha Big Bear 400 and I really don't like to use it much around the cows. I still like to get out and walk amongst them.....as soon as they hear that damned quad they are heading for the brush!
          I have a little trailer that fits on a ball hitch that is real handy for checking and fixing fence in the spring. I custom built a 20 gallon sprayer with boomless nozzles (30 ft)that I use a bit.
          If I remember correctly I paid $5800 for it new (on sale) and paid for it by spraying oil leases. It is a fairly basic machine, small enough to maneuver, not a big old brute like the Polaris or Artic Cat. Doesn't start well in cold weather (poor carberator design).
          Handy for shooting gophers and trapping moles.

Comment

We don't own or use a quad, although we
            help neighbours who use them. We use
            horses largely from a terrain
            perspective and based on what we are
            comfortable with. We wind up with a lot
            of slopes, trees and creeks to cross and
            that is definitely not quad friendly.
            The largest problem I see with a quad is
            that there is only one brain involved.
            When that brain quits thinking they can
            be dangerous. A truck or quad is no
            substitute for a good horse.
            We have splurged and bought a Suzuki
            mini truck that will go pretty well
            anywhere a quad will go, with the
            exception that it has a box, can carry
            1000 pounds, has heat and a radio and is
            licensed for the road. And it gets
            40 mpg highway and 60 mpg checking
            cows. We use this for fencing, taking
            mineral out, switching rotational
            grazing, working table for AI, chute
            side table for branding, etc. It is not
            generally used for chasing cows.

Comment

You've got a good point about the the two brains at work. My old horse Abner was so sharp that if you didn't keep your eyes on the cattle, he'd dodge after them and leave you behind. He never got out from under me, but he did leave Hubby behind once. He told me that one minute he was riding, and the next minute Abner had turned without him and he was on the ground. He'd reach down and nip a dawdler on the bum too.

I miss that horse. I've never found one that could replace him, and I doubt I ever will.

Comment

have a polaris 450. It is OK but the battery is weak and has already been replaced which is a nightmare of a job. A battery tender helps but I think the battery needs to be bigger and more accessible. I use it to plow snow and use the winch for up and down - it's like the battery and/or alternator can't keep up with the demand from the winch. If I get another quad I'll be looking at a different brand.

Comment

Sean' point "The largest problem I see with a quad is
                  that there is only one brain involved." could be expanded to include the extra set of eyes. The quad rider can either watch where they are going or watch the cattle. The horse rider can watch the cattle and let the horse watch where they are going. Gives the horseman an edge IMHO.

BTW we are doing most of our corral work horseback lately. Did all our weaning this year without getting off and the cattle stayed really quiet. You have lots of time to get them used to a man afoot later.

Comment

Ya rook I agree with you about lack of electric
                    power....run the winch a bit better not shut it off
                    for a while, and that is in summer! Lots of good
                    memories with that 07, had the seat that
                    converted to a box and back. I have a picture of
                    my middle son hauling 3 of his younger siblings
                    on the front rack and seated with 2 more, 6 of
                    the greatest things in my life comming out to the
                    pasture to check on me one fine summer day.
                    Memories they won't ever forget also I bet, born
                    into freedom.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...