• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hand Held RFID reader

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eastcoaster---Time to respond to your thread. Using your RFID tag with the 15 digit nos as an ID is what I wanted to do with my cow-herd identification back in 2006 & 2007. Until permanent ID is achieved (reliable ID that stays on the animal)---forget about it.

Like already has been posted. Gone back to Ketchum #2 Curlock metal tag for individual ID. Only apply the RFID tag when selling animal. Better yet make arrangements for the Auction Market personnel to apply the RFID ear-tag so that there is now "0" slippage.

Some arrangements have been made at a deductable price of application fee. By doing this you have freed yourself up of any potential RFID eartag audit as well.

I reposted the CFIA laws regarding eartags that are presently enforce at this time on this post as well.

<a href="http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n523/kphaber/?action=view&current=img059.jpg" target="_blank"></a>

Comment

How much does your local auction charge for
      tagging SADIE? Not sure what they are here
      currently but know they are quite a bit higher than
      they started off doing it for - maybe $10 a head? I
      know mature bulls are substantially more than other
      categories.
      I find it quite easy to preserve identities - stick the
      little sticker that comes with the tags into my
      calving book on the appropriate line where the cow
      #/ date of birth/breed/sex goes. I'm still using what
      was originally my Dad's calving book started in
      1960. Works as good now as it did back then, no
      hand held RFID reader just a pen and paper system.
      Haven't lost an RFID tag off last years calf crop, lost
      one from the previous year so we are maybe
      running 1/3 of 1 % tag loss.

Comment

This comes from two former clients of mine in East Central Alberta. One ranch lines up with the auction market on entire group of calves. They do the work, purchase the tags and are in order @ $4.00/head. The only thing that has a tag when it comes on that ranch is the bulls they purchase.

Individual adult animals are the $10.00 to $20.00 range.

The other contact I know has a deal at his market in Alberta @ $3.00 /head application on top of the purchase of the RFID eartag.

In Saskatchewan where there is "minmal age verification" and there is "0" payment for the RFID eartags. More and more reports of producers phoning the Tag companies---One in particular complaining about the "broken backs" and receiving large nos of replacement RFID eartags.

"THE GONG SHOW CONTINUES"

At the start of 2011 CCIA chairman asked for "deregestering lost RFID eartags"-----.

The attempt to follow the lifecycle of each RFID eartag.

Good luck with that one.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...