• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heifer Calving Ease

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heifer Calving Ease

Just finished second year of calving out 25 first calf heifers that was subject to my own research and development program. Thought I would share this with some other beef producers.The success rate has been over whelming for the last two years out of 25 head per year I have only had to assist with 3 head, 2 backwards
    1 front leg turned back
    For years my dad has been monitoring and keeping records on gestation times so I have been selecting heifers from the short term cows and breeding with good red angus heifer bulls. The average gestation time for most of his cow herd was 283 days on 200 head. The short term gestation average time for the ones I was interested in keeping replacements for my herd was 275 days. With some as low 273 to a high of 280 days.
    The shorter gestation time has yeilded heathly calves that are averaging 75 lb birthweight that gain the same as 85 to 90 lb birthweight . Seems once they are out of womb with no calving problems or serious pulls they catch up to the higher birth calves. The same bull was used in both years to give me a baseline for the sire side of the equation ( bull bw 82lbs.). I realize feed and weather can be a factor but both years were relativity the same for feed quality and the winters were about the same.
    I was just wondering if anybody else has already tried this and how their results were or was my just a run of good luck.

It ain't luck forage - good job and great story.

Comment

You're on the right track.

Comment

Forgot to ask if anyone has seen any data on how much weight a calf gains in the womb during different periods of the gestation time. For example the last three weeks before birth. I have purchased some good quality cows and some of them carried their calves for up to 291 days with birth weights that exceeded 105 lbs . If the calf gains half a lb. a day before being born then you are getting a calf bw and additional 8 to 10 lbs.

Comment

http://www.bovineengineering.com/

Here is a guy who could answer that question for you forage. I think you will get a lot out of what Gearald Fry has in his noodle. Flip him and email and wait for his reply. He is a very busy and wanted man... LOL

Comment

Good work Forage

I hope I have your luck myself this spring, major
            heifers to calve this spring.

Comment

IT'S nice you keep good records.In 2004 because of BSE we calved 92 heifers forget percentage . DON'T EVER WANT TO DO IT AGAIN.

Comment

Thanks R.Kaiser. I will try and get a hold of the email address you forwarded.
                I would like to continue this little pet project for another couple of years to prove to myself that it maybe worth the effort.

Comment

forage a colleague of mine has done a lot of research on this very issue! He says you are exactly right on the money!
                  Email me at albertasurfacerights@gmail.com
                  so I can send you his email?
                  He would really like to contact you?

Comment

I wonder how much of gestation length comes from the bull, and how much from the heifer? If the bull's contribution is significant, it could be a marketing tool for bull sellers.

Anything to make calving easier is worthwhile. We just sold the best heifer bull we've ever owned, and are sure hoping we can find another one just like him. Sadly, as good of a calver he was, that's how bad of an attitude he had. Putting the boss over the fence is an unforgivable offense on our operation. LOL

When heifers have an easy first calving, it sets the stage for the rest of their lives. If it hadn't been for the tossing the boss incident, Tony would have had a home for a long long time. I guess he blew it.

Comment

The bull I used also came from a shorter term cow that wasn't related to the heifers I purchased from my dad's herd. I only have one concern that the bull well start throwing bigger calves as he gets older , this may be a myth from the old days. The other problem is $$$ cash to buy more heifers this year , seems the old man still wants top dollar for his heifers, but actually with the records he keeps it is worth it of course he has more time than money.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...