• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Setting up for the switch?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up for the switch?

The effects of growth promotants in fed cattle are causing concern at Cargill, which operates one of the two major cattle processing plants in Western Canada.

Steve Molitor, head of procurement for Cargill Meat Solutions, told cattle feeders at a Jan. 25 feedlot conference that aggressive use of hormone implants and beta-agonists will reduce the amount of top quality beef available to consumers.

“What double A and Select was 10 years ago is not what double A and Select is today,” said Molitor.

“We take the top tier of Select and we move it into a certain market, and so if you go into a regular retailer and it’s double A (beef), it’s probably the bottom double A and the eating experience is not near what it used to be.”

Growth promotants are used extensively in feedlots to increase the rate of gain so animals reach slaughter weight more quickly using less feed. Research has determined growth promotants can toughen beef, affecting the consumer’s eating experience.

Molitor said beef will fail to deliver on the promise of taste and tenderness and demand will erode if growth promotants are used too aggressively.

One feeder asked how feedlots could compete without using growth implants, given the narrow margins on which they operate.

“I don’t have an answer for that one, at the end of the day,” said Molitor.

---- Randy would like to add -"And does Molitor really give a rats ass about the feeder or the cow calf producer in this dysfunctional conventional beef ? cattle industry " LOL 

He said packers will eventually give feedlots a signal on when or if to use implants, but that might take awhile.

He encouraged wise use of implants, perhaps on higher quality animals so carcass grade loss won’t be as severe.

Molitor said tight beef supplies are causing prices to rise, and consumers will reach a point where they won’t pay more for beef without guaranteed taste and tenderness.

“We’re going to get prices very, very high and at some point (consumers are) going to make choices, if we’re going to be willing to pay that much for something that has a one out of two good eating experiences,” he said.

“People will change their habits. We won’t eat as much beef tomorrow.”

Meat scientist Sandra Gruber of Elanco told the conference that implants may be a necessity to economically produce enough beef to meet demand, but moderation will be key.

“There’s different combinations, different products that we can use to help moderate or balance the benefit that we get from production efficiency without long-term beef demand detriment,” she said.

Molitor also said maximum residue levels of growth hormones have been established by some countries, which limit export opportunities. However, production efficiency is a major driver in using growth promotants.

Was never in favor of implants ever.....if totally banned, then everyone is on the same playing field....and more attractive for exports. Randy, you probably remember my post right after BSE hit....one of the solutions I toted then....it still galls me that we are/were spending damn good money to try and persuade Europe that they should allow implants.
    Larry

Comment

Years ago I used implants on the calves. I got sick of all the little heifers bulling like crazy at about 400 pounds! I always wondered about the little steer calves looking like body builders and roaring around like a bull!
      Being fairly lazy and having to seperate the heifer calves and their mothers by September....one day I just said NO to hormones!
      In the big picture I probably lost some weight on the calves, but sure felt better about what I was raising.

Comment

We haven't used them in years. And we don't miss them.

Comment

The sad part about this situation for me as a registered seed stock producer is that all of the genetic advances that we have made, and continue to make with sire selection and the use of tools like ultrasound and DNA testing to encourage quality in our carcass progeny can be thrown away in a few seconds with a flick of a trigger on an implant gun.

That was an awefully long sentence and I hope I got my point across without a long ranting post... LOL

Comment

As you say Randy it's all about choices, needn't be
            any sadness involved. You can retain as many of
            your own as you want hormone free, same with your
            bull customers and benefit from the enhanced
            carcass and/or eating quality.
            It's what the customer wants - in fact is desperate
            for. I sent out an email to our beef customers
            updating them with prices of this years beef for
            October/November delivery and had over $22,000
            worth booked in the first six hours. After 3 days we
            are more than 50% sold out of the year's production.
            The domestic market for hormone implant free,
            antibiotic free, grass-fed beef is just exploding. Yet
            the "industry" sits complaining about declining
            consumption, lack of market access, COOL, negative
            packer/feedlot margins, use of beta antagonists,
            Europeans that won't accept hormone treated beef.
            Excuses, excuses at a time opportunities have never
            been greater.

Comment

I hear you loud and clear and could not agree more GF. I guess I was referring to the purebred industry in general with my comment. Sad to see the "follower attitude " taken advantage of.

The cry from the packers was bring us more beef protein and the excuse from those in the cattle industry was "we get paid by the pound". Now the big boys are setting up for another industry switch that will cause the followers to do something else to survive. Power and control will never lead to a sustainable industry and it is sad that more people can not see it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...