• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Beef herds rebuilding or not?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did the cows and heifers and pairs sell at sls today Sadie?

Comment

I think the answer to herds rebuilding
      lies in the fact that Canola was listed
      at $12.85 at ADM today.
      If your land is not suitable for grain
      (or you have to get into the equipment)
      you may maintain or expand your cowherd.
      If your land is suitable for grain, a
      lot of cowherds are downsizing or
      feeling the squeeze. In a lot of minds
      adding a few cows = more work. Adding a
      quarter of grain land = more money.

Comment

Report from SLS Bred cow & Heifer Sale:

approx 600 head sold: I did not stay through the whole sale but here is what I saw and Interprided.

Bred Heifers----$1650--$1700.00 on R Angus X simm. Black Angus groups---several packages brought $1800.00

Lots of older cows bringing $1450 each that were in good condition.

Cows that look like d 3 and D4s condition brought $1000.00 to $1200.00

Talked to lots of the crowd and those that sold the dispersals.

SORRY TO BRING THIS UP ON AGRIVILLE BUT THIS IS A VERY REAL ISSUE:

PRICES OF COWS ARE UP, GRAIN IS UP, SELL. NO MORE REGULATIONS AND RE-TAGGING THESE OLDER COWS---WE ARE NOT DOING THIS PROCEEDURE WE VALUE OUR HANDS, WRISTS, and FACES.

PREDICITON STANDS: WE ARE IN A FEMALE COW-HERD SELL OFF DEATH SPIRAL. AS THE PRICES CONTINUE TO RISE MORE AND MORE ARE SAYING WHEN THEY GET TO $$$AMOUNT--OUR COW-HERD IS GONE ALSO.

NOTHING BUT OPPORTUNITY FOR US ON AGRIVILLE. The cow-cylce is not like the pip cycle---it is much much longer turn around.

Comment

Here is southern manitoba the cow herd is dropping like flies. Bulldozers do a quick work at taking down fence rows. Yard site after yard site empty. Yes there is the odd larger herd but 10 smaller herds are gone for each 2 to 300 hundred herd out here. Canola is king and the young farmers like their summers peacefull out side of spraying and the winters for taking a breather after the 60 hour weeks in the spring and the fall. Nobody likes getting the phone call your cows are out and ruining your weekend at the lake.It is nice to be able to just take off for a few days and just leave a bag of cat and dog food out for the yard animals...I am not saying grain farmer life is easy but it is a lot less stressfull than trying to out think a cow...

Comment

I have a cat coming this week to take out two fence lines on 100 acres(that was split into three pastures). They are all grown up with trees and brush.
            Will spray out the grass and break up this year. Keep it black this year and sow RR canola next year (depending on moisture).

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...