• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pharo Cattle

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tells a story if the Pinebank x cows are lighter
    mature weight and more consistent type than the
    Pharo sired ones. Maybe the effect of actually having
    a breeding program - and then sticking to it for 60
    years?
    Pharo advocates can produce some carcass data
    when pushed Gaucho - I think there were two
    groups of 6 frame cattle they fed out a number of
    years back to show 1400lb carcasses that graded
    well. They just pretend that's what the 2 and 3
    frame bulls will produce.

One thing the original poster might want to enquire
    of Pharo - if he is such a believer in low input
    ranching why are the bulls priced so high? Why
    would a low input rancher pay $6000 when there
    are plenty others that would do the same or better
    job for $2000?

Comment

I don't know what frame those feeder calves were, but if they were Pharo bulls crossed with conventional cows they would have gotten bigger. I think a good portion of the small frame PCC bulls are probably not that small without the restricted diets. As many have pointed out, he is using mainstream genetics and not really line breeding to set that small frame.

I think Magua is advertised as a 2.5 or 3 frame bull, but he certainly didn't breed that consistently on my cows. They were big growthy calves for the most part, and most of the bulls had 200 day weights over and around 700 lbs. I used the Johnny B Good bull and had much more consistency in type and frame. That bull has a little more PCC breeding in him and some older more moderate genetics. The calves have some muscle and are very attractive.

However, I have used two walking bulls that have done a much more consistent job in moderating frame and setting type. One of them comes from what most people would consider a show herd, but like smcgrath said you can find the right type of bulls in Canada too.

Comment

The challenge with what is often sold as
        the grass type is that unless you have a
        specific market, they often sell at a
        steep discount into conventional
        production. Conversely if your costs are
        lower, you don't need as high a price and
        you are taking less risk on each calf, but
        if you don't have a good market for those
        small framed cattle, you can have a
        challenge.

Comment

That's a point that is often conveniently overlooked
          in the marketing of these small frame Pharo cattle.
          Much is made of the fact that 400lb calves at
          $1.80/lb bring almost as much money as 600lb
          calves at $1.15. Sure when you look at the market
          reports these price spreads may look realistic but in
          reality a 400lb calf that is fat and small framed like
          it will never grow will usually sell for substantially
          less that a 400lb calf that is green, young and has
          the potential to grow into the same animal as it's
          600lb herd mate.
          Even more so in the US where many of the states
          have a grading system at the auctions to sort the
          calves before sale. I forget the different grades and
          descriptions they use but needless to say the small
          frame "puds" are usually severely discounted despite
          them being lightweights.
          Still why spoil a good marketing strategy with facts?

The volume of BS just gets too confusing - a
          program that touts small frame cattle that are low
          maintenance as the objective yet cull cows if they
          can't wean 50 or 60% of the dams weight. Then we
          learn that they maybe aren't genetically small
          anyway, only underfed to make them appear small,
          apart from the ones that are larger because they
          don't in fact come from the small frame size bulls -
          because they are really just one generation removed
          from the same old, same old genetics of the
          mainstream.
          Just look at the Angus semen inventory bulls on
          their website - mostly OCC breeding with a good
          dash of the common Angus bulls of the day thrown
          in. Milk EPDs in the 15 to 20 range on some that are
          claimed to sire easy keeping kind of cows.
          I loved this gem about a Lowline sire called Machine
          "We have used Machine on our 6-frame cows to
          produce thick, easy-fleshing, 3-frame offspring —
          in one generation" Really? Kit has 6 frame cows?
          how did that happen? If you have a 6 frame cow is
          the most efficient way to produce beef from it to
          breed it to something that produces a 3 frame calf?
          I'd rather breed her terminal Charolais.
          If the objective of breeding it miniature is to sell
          purebred frame score 3 bulls aren't you just conning
          the buyer? how likely is it to breed a 3 frame calf?

Comment

One of many advantages that we have producing protein from this species of animals called cattle is that variety gives us options.

The other thing is that managing a cow herd, or cow herder, is not as easy for a multinational company as managing a chicken herd, a pig herd, a fish herd, etc. etc.

Even chicken herders and pig herders are finding ways to survive outside the conventional markets and are doing it with variety, not similarity.

I know this thread is about Kit Pharo cattle and I can not comment much as I have virtually no experience with his cattle. However. talk of judging cattle as pudgy, or slow growing led me to jump in.

Bringing carcass size down by breeding small cattle to large cattle and visa versa is still gearing production toward conventional marketing. I realise that is the only choice for most right now and seems to even be the way of some of the non conventional marketing groups.

Asking the consumer what he/she would like rather than growing what we feel makes the most sense and telling them that is all we have is a mindset that is still the same as the multinational companies that control our industry.

Innovative marketing and taking advantage of the diversity of the cattle species will allow for the industries survival in an ever controlling multinational "product" world.

Comment

Hey Reed if you were implying that I was navel gazing at the New Zealanders I would say quite the contrary although it is refreshing working with guys that come from a country without subsidies. The reason why we went with what we did was we wanted to be involved in a breeding program that had concentrated on grass based low maintenance genetics and that had a solid breeding program behind it and that did not just breed on phenotype but had a true genotype. Cattle that bred true and consistent and were not a cross of combining two extremes like our American Bible thumper rancher does...although again hats off to his marketing. These cattle are not smaller than a 4.5 frame score and the top end don't do into a frame 6... they stay steady in between. They have guts which means they have a great back, which means they have good carcass yield. Finally because of how they are used as part of a grazing system in New Zealand that follows the sheep and that have to perform on the worst of the pastures, the fact they are given no supplementation, bred under a closed herd line bred program for 60 plus years that did not follow fads but rather internal performance .... that's why we went with what we did and why I am confident in these cattle. I looked in a lot of places but did not see anyone doing that her in North America with those kind of objectives.

Comment

Christoph, yes I was implying that you were navel gazing, but just teasing.

I'm very happy with how the Pinebank 14'02 daughters are doing this far in their young lives.

Comment

Just wanted to make it clear. Many can be swayed by hype and I guess that is what some do for marketing but its really important to ask the questions and dissect the information... seems the Scottish are good at that

Comment

I keep thinkin if I was only in cattle for a relatively short time and I was selling as many bulls to the faithful as I could raise AND they were willing to pay $4000 for them...
                    Should I cull for only the best or should I take advantage of all that good marketing.
                    It appears to me that when most of the popular breeding stock suppliers find they don't have enough supply to fill demand they quickly buy breds and calve out bulls that carry their prefix for their next sale.
                    There are more than a few really good breeders out there. Some of the best know a lot more about breeding than marketing and seem to be happy with that.

Comment

There are some really good programs that
                      use cooperator herds. I think that is a
                      good way to grow your herd size, control
                      the quality of the program and share the
                      benefits of economies of scale for
                      promotion, etc. A lot of good cattle
                      are bred in cooperator herds that may
                      not have the marketing expertise, and it
                      is a good way to rapidly make an impact
                      in the marketplace (particularly for
                      young breeders).