• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free Riding Lowers Market Returns 5-20%

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: referendum. The refundable checkoff is an ongoing referendum. HT

Comment

HAHAHAHA
      I knew you'd trip up using the three log in names
      rsomer/farmers_son/MGMT.
      C'mon ASRG you are slow on the uptake today!!
      I knew it was farmers_son from the start, it's a one
      pony show.

Comment

Oh, come on. Get real and get over it. I am accused of being Mr. ABP (am not). I am accused of being MGMT because I had not posted to this thread (I was away on holidays) or else MGMT is Rich Smith. Like how do I defend against that? Am I supposed to sign my name to every post? Or include a photograph? Actually the technology would allow for that but that is not going to happen. You would not believe the picture was of me anyway.

I understand you do not share my point of view on a lot of things. You may be surprised to know I respect your viewpoint. You express yourself well and write a killer letter to the editor. I, perhaps naively, believe it is what is said that counts and not who says it. I have never felt the need to associate myself with this or that organization to give my posts validity. Either what I say makes sense or it does not. It should not matter if the post is made by a woman or a man, young or old, rich or poor, president of an organization or someone with 5 head. At least that is how I look at it.

And my words are always my own and not representative of any organization whatsoever.

Comment

The give away was when you posted for the first time on
          this thread replying to a whole host of people's
          comments that had been directed to MGMT.
          Oops. Can't put that genie back in the bottle.

I've known your identity for most of the decade that you
          have posted on here and I admire your knowledge and
          opinions too - one of the best brains in Alberta
          agriculture. You just lose credibility in my eyes when you
          feel the need to use multiple handles and claim not to
          belong to ABP when you have in fact been a delegate and
          on the board of directors for most of the last decade.
          I'm not revealing your identity on here as I believe it's
          everyones right to retain anonymity and hope everyone
          else will respect that too.

Comment

First off, how can anyone take someone who plays games like this on the Internet seriously.

It's a little weird for one thing and does not bode well for the so called democratic ABP/CCA organisation that you support farmers_son.

I think that the Rich Smith guess got you scared old buddy. Not sure if you are still a delegate or not, but if Rich is checking in or loric spills the beans on you, you might be looking for a different cushy job rather than your ABP freeloader cheque.

Your opinion is obviously backed by lots of words and personal perception and I too have said in the past that your intelligence is likely wasted supporting the freeloader organisation called ABP/CCA

The premise of this whole thread is that you personally believe (if you are not part of ABP/CCA LOL) that this group has actually made a difference in government to government negotiations on trade issues. I personally don't believe they have made any difference and have pissed away millions of check off dollars flying around blowing smoke up the asses of politicians who could give a rats as about anything ABP or CCA says.

You suggest the following---

"I think it is up to "us". It should be our decision. Let’s make it our decision through a referendum on a non refundable $3 per head check off. Let send a message to Government and ALMA that we want to be in charge of our own industry."

I actually like part of this statement, however the current so called democratic organisation that you think is "us" is not the vehicle.

Find and organisation that will use the checkoff to actually do something proactive for the industry and I would throw 3 bucks at it as well.

Comment

Thanks R.Kaiser I couldn't have said it better myself. Wait a minute , I think I have!
              The amount of money abp has collected over the years since its inception have been truly wasted. If they had only save a portion year after year they would have had enough for any fight any issue and have millions left in the bank.
              Why are you so touchy F_S once you started posting on this tread you automatically went on the defensive with no mention of your alias what so ever.
              Thanks for ear everyone. Back to work. Good luck to all those calving rigth now .

Comment

To avoid any confusion about this response, i would like to offer this disclaimer. My name is Gary Etherington, a cow/calf producer and veterinarian from NE Alberta. I was co-chair of the Beef Industry Alliance and President of Canadian Legacy Partners. I have stepped down from both positions so the opinions given are mine and mine alone
                I have been an advocate of an alternative slaughter solution since 2003. The two major plants that harvest 96% of the beef produced in the West are extremely efficient but it is in their business interest to limit differentiation of product as that decreases this efficincy. They also have a well established marketplace in the US and using Canadian cattle to fill their orders continues to work effectively for them and by maintaining a substantial basis, they are able to maintain a profitable margin. There is no need to develop alternative marketing except from the global perspective of their companies.
                I have looked to a number of organizations for support in the development of this alternative slaughter option including financially investing in Rancher's Beef and organizing Border Beef which was one of the founding partners in the Spruce Grove Ranchers Meats. Following the demise of both of these, I did approach ABP with a proposal and was referred to the newly formed Cow/Calf committee. I was told to take the proposal through our local zone that fall. This occurred and was passed. The motion was forwarded to the fall meeting of ABP delegates and again passed. The directors however took it upon themselves to disregard this motion and to add insult to injury, proposed the exact motion as if it had been presented by Zone 8 although neither name on the motion are by delegates of Zone 8. One of those names was yours Rob and that is why I believe your claim to democracy is laughable.
                Last year at about this time, we had a round table discussion with the Minister of Agriculture. A number of groups were represented including BIA. ACFA, Feeder Association, WSGA and ABP We would have had concensus on the concept of developing an incubator for the purpose of creation of beef value chain products except for the representatives of ABP. Today's government may perceive ABP as representatives of the beef producers in this province but I certainly don't.
                Hopefully by being burried deep in this chain, those that are still reading will get a better picture of the negative influence that ABP has on the change that needs to occur within the beef industry. If we continue to support the current framework, we will continue to produce commodity beef and will be at the mercy of the cattle cycle. Today, the cow/calf sector is being rewarded. The feedlot margins will continue to erode until that capacity is rationalized and the packers will dictate the terms. They will probably even get the ABP to lobby government for them for additional dollars until slaughter numbers are restored.

Comment

One minor addition to an awesome post Gary. Basis only involves cattle that are purchased by the two packers and not cattle they own. Boxed beef going from Canada to the USA is not discounted much by border issues and transportation is minimal as North South trade balances East West.

As well; this basis can be adjusted at any time with customers that play by their rules. Thus support from some of the major players in the industry.

This formula has worked well for the two big packers for years and how can anyone blame them for awesome business manipulation and the aid of the ABP/CCA boys. Many of whom have deals struck with the packers that are not exposed.

Only new export markets from a new group have the opportunity to upset this wonderful little apple cart, being pushed along by ABP/CCA.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...