• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABP resolution Re supply management

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Certainly would be a challenge to change the rule book. As it currently stands, if I buy milk directly from a dairy farm, (which I wanted to) they can be fined $25000 plus possibly lose their license.......even though raw milk is most likely healthier than processed milk.
    Always thought if I wanted to go back into dairy, I would do it with goats....no quota to deal with there that I am aware of.

Comment

The no quota deal would be great. I
      could have 10 cows, my wife could have
      10 cows, our 3 kids could each have 10
      cows, both our sets of parents could
      have 10 cows, etc.
      It would be hard to regulate and/or
      write reasonable rules. Not saying it
      shouldn't be done, but I can see the
      death by 1000 cuts to SM in dairy doing
      this.
      I believe the egg quota allows so many
      birds before you get into the quota
      system, but not sure exactly how it
      works.

Comment

thats 12,500 .... one too many 0 GF

Comment

In Manitoba you can have 999 meat birds without quota. I think this is "per year". You can sell them direct, but if they're not government inspected, you have to say so in your ad. You can sell in a retail store if they are government inspected. I only know of one local abattoir who sells this type of chicken.

You can have 99 layers, and sell eggs direct from the farm, but not at farmer's markets. You have to let the customer know they're ungraded. IMHO, 99 layers would be a big job. I've got 16 of them, and it seems like all I do is wash eggs. LOL

I don't know what the other provinces are like for rules.

Comment

Actually I missed a 0 gaucho 5000 x $2.50 = $12,500 but the $125,000 for 10 cows was correct.
            Sean, don't see why it would should be any harder to regulate than the dairy sector is now - if guys now want to fill their quota and sell surplus beyond it direct to customers what's to stop them? I don't see that should derail the proposal.

Comment

GF - I don't disagree, but I think I have
              an understanding of regulators and also
              how adept people are at getting around the
              results of regulators. A lot of these
              things are good ideas until the regulators
              squeeze the life out of them.
              We grew up with a cream separator and the
              strong family trait of a strong desire to
              dry up cows as fast as possible.

Comment

gf, while I like the idea I don't see it flying in Ontario any time soon. Mike Schmidt lost his appeal earlier this year and was convicted of selling unpasteurized milk.

"An example of the statutory curtailment of the lawful entitlement to consume raw milk is apparent in Section 15(1) of the Milk Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. M.12 (hereinafter Milk Act). That provision mandates that all milk plants (which include a milk transfer station or premises where cream or milk is processed) be licensed by "the Director" appointed by regulation under the Act. Sections 18(1) and 18(2) of the Health Protection and Promotion Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.7 (hereinafter H.P.P.A.), further limit consumer access by effectively prohibiting both the sale, delivery and/or distribution of unpasteurized milk, cream or other processed milk products or products derived from raw milk."

Mike had the brilliant idea of selling shares in his cattle to the consumers of his milk so that they would all be owners/farmers and thus be allowed to consume the unpasteurized product of the animals under the farmer and his/her family exception.

Great idea but the court blew him up anyway. Lots of press, lots of controversy, no change in the law.

Comment

Schmidt blew himself up if I understand it correctly. If I remember right he was in trouble several years ago and went all the way to the supreme court where he won his case that the share set up providing raw milk was legal. This is a second go-round and I was told it came about because he was caught selling illegally outwith his share holder set up - to an undercover operative.
                  I agree with you that changing the rules on raw milk will be the hardest part. I believe the science supports changing the law though as pasturization was used (and needed) to prevent problems that occurred in 19th century Europe. The conditions in North America in the 21st centuary are totally different yet still we pasturize.

Comment

very interesting topic!
                    I doin,t trust drinking raw milk any more ! yes when we where farming here 50 years ago it was very common raw milk no coolers and me be less sickness ,
                    Todays live style is different g-f
                    organic farming is going on in England ,
                    Organic milk over there is hauled in special tank,s to same factory and sold to stores under special tac ORGANIC not raw, but by law has to be pasteurize .
                    We noticed the same in our travel to all of europa , no supply management needed !! to start Organic selling !
                    Canada Gold had same idee like a private organice s m group try to sell in europe to bad no luck, all lost their large share input money , reading on there C G B news of 20 million loss share members input money , and some A L M A tax money given to them ,many looking for a hand out it is nice to have a supportive AB government p-c ,

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...