• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At the risk of starting a big brawl.....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good topic Kato. As far a temperament goes I have to say from my experience it is largely genetic to start with. Having said that, handling them inappropriately at some point in their life can tip the scales away from every being able to handle them and some with the wrong genes couldn't be tamed not matter what you do. Our herd is mostly hands off but when you stop to visit them for sure you will have a group of curious George's visiting. When working, head hunters and the severely uncooperative are culled.

To the Angus weight question. Having a Sim history but currently an Angus cross herd. No doubt a smaller calf in the spring equals a smaller calf in the fall but as far as back grounding goes, if your feeding for shorter keeps you need to keep some exotic blood in them, if grass is your game it is easier to get fat on grass with a smaller frame. Kind of depends on the market you want to swim in.

Nothing here is written in stone, just my own experience. I won't be going back to European cattle very soon but my blood bank has plenty continental left in it yet. Then maybe a trip to check out some Gelbvieh's.

Comment

Regardless of breed, here's a point to
      ponder. You go through your heifer calf
      crop and look for what?

- Temperament
      - Momma's track record including feet
      and udders
      - individual conformation
      - Growth rate on the cow

So, you evaluate these things, and you
      put together a uniform, consistent group
      of heifers. Why then, do you go to
      someone else's farm, with different
      conditions, different genetics,
      different selection criteria, and buy
      their bulls? Your heifers have you close
      to improving on your consistency, then
      you throw in different genetics by
      breeding them to an outside bull.

If you went through your own bull calves
      - and there are only 10 because you
      castrated all but the top 10 out of the
      best proven cows in the herd - and
      selected for what's important to you,
      and bred those bulls to your uniform
      group of heifers, would you not be
      improving on your consistency? Would
      that not make sense since you are
      drawing both sides of the equation from
      the best cows in your own herd which is
      already adapted to your conditions?

The only reason I see for buying outside
      genetics is if you're starting out and
      want to improve on what you got.
      Otherwise, once you're off and running,
      every time you buy in outside genetics
      it's like mixing a batch of cookies with
      a blindfold on.

My apologies to Randy for potentially
      hurting bull sales.

Comment

PC - I guess that depends on what your
        goals are, and if your 10 best bull calves
        are the 10 best bull calves you can source
        genetics from. If they are the 10 best
        for what you are trying to do, and you are
        trying to lock down your genetics so to
        speak, that may be a reasonable approach,
        but...

Comment

Kato--

Reading this thread has made me sit back and think about all my former cow-calf client customers with their herds and also reflect on the direction we started 15 years ago on building our cross bred cow herd F1 genetics and maintaining that herd trying to achieve the goals that we put out were important to our family operation.

When you are within one breed Ie Black angus or red angus, Gelbvieh or whatever I feel one can stay within your own herd with replacements much easier.---Following pc thread.

Maintaining a true F1 cow-herd when you are under the 150-200 cow range needs self decipline and sourcing outside genetics IMHO.

Points of NB to our operation. Uniformity in genetics/body type/ temperment/color & growth and TEMPERMENT and Predictable Heifer calving ease. I have mentioned before that we only buy Bred heifers to keep young stock current coming into our herd.

Because of repeated availablity we selected the Red Angus/Simmental Angus bull on Fleck simmental cows Not the reverse Simmental Bull on Red angus cows. we can see the difference in the two by trial and error.

Bl Angus/Simmental I feel would be a better genetically built animal yet because of Bl Angus has a stronger genetic pool IMHO.

15 Years ago our operation was into the 3 way terminal cross with these animals being bred to the power Charolais bull resulting in the real performance animal in the feedlot.

Now because of aging of our labor pool, off farm income we selected breeding the F1s to Power Rd Angus bulls (performance) rather than calving ease. The 1/4 sim/34 angus heifers we have sold as replacements we have followed that progeny into other herds and see what another breeding to angus progeny does (Past their heifer year).

The best success to those animals as mothers is the cross to the Char, Gelbvieh,etc (3 way cross).

Going into this fall of 2011 another post asked the Price of Bred cows/Bred Heifers?

The Bred Heifers for our replacements will be on offer at 4-5 places. Could be an interesting fall??

I posted this thread because of my 40 year interest and involvement in genetics of cattle and the my interest in the cross-bred animal.

Comment

SADIE - could you maybe clarify for me what you are actually breeding? You are talking about keeping an F1 herd and selling 1/4 sim - 3/4 angus replacement heifers but also mention using sim/angus bulls or am I reading that wrong?

Comment

Because of repeated availablity we selected the Red Angus/Simmental F1 animal.

(Angus bull on Fleck simmental cows) Not the reverse (Simmental Bull on Red angus cows). we can see the difference in the two by trial and error.

To these F1 animals (basically they are the universal female) Any breed of bull can now cross with this animal and things will work well.

We choose away from the third breed---at this time and breed the f1 cows back to Purebred Angus bull focusing on Performance type of genetics and not just ease of calving genetics that the angus breed at this time is well noted for.

The progeny produced off our operation is 1/4 simm 3/4 angus calves. They are all sold off the farm as feeder steers (growthy and in demand) and (open heifers sold in the spring grass market).

Keeping my own heifers in my herd and breeding again angus ones herd will soon result in the shorter, high angus influence animal that Kato ranch is possibly experiencing. SOmewhere along the line one has to choose a third breed IMHO.

Different stokes for different folks.

Comment

Our approach with our own cow herd is to stick with what works. And that equation does not include Angus here. We have had two black cows that we bought after BSE, due to breds being worth less than calves. One is gone, and the other one is on the "hit list". Her calf, off the Limo bull, is OK, but she's a horrible thing to work with when she calves. I will be glad to see her get on a truck.

Our herd is based on Charolais, other than a couple of odds and ends that we picked up like those two blacks. We only keep Char replacements. We breed them either Char or Limo, but this year we brought in four new Char bulls and got rid of four Limos. Within a year, the only Limo will likely be a heifer bull.

We've been noticing that the discount of white calves and premium for the blacks has disappeared, at least in Manitoba. Maybe feedlots are seeing the same rate of gain issues that our backgrounding operation has???

I guess our approach comes from living through the high interest rates and droughts of the 80's. The lessons we learned then were...

1.Time is money. When you've had a 20% operating loan, you learn that real quick. By the time our neighbour's calves are hitting the pasture for their yearling year, ours are likely in a grocery store somewhere.

2.If you're going to be short of feed, you'd better have some calves in the fall that you can sell, otherwise you're looking at losing some money.

I guess if we had a large land base with a bunch of pasture and lots of time we could go another route, but for our farm, this is what works.

I think the pendulum has swung a little too far the other way from what it was, and needs to come back to the center some. As has been said here, balance is the key, and it wouldn't take too much to correct the issue.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...