• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grassland selloff

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grassland selloff

Grassland selloff: Alberta seeks to convert native prairie to irrigation land

By: Bob Weber, The Canadian Press

Posted: 08/30/2011 4:08 PM

EDMONTON - The Alberta government is asking for proposals to turn a parcel of native grassland in the province's water-challenged south into irrigated farmland.

The potential sale of a 65-square-kilometre spread southwest of Medicine Hat comes despite advice from a government-appointed panel to leave such rangeland alone.

"We are in the process across the province of looking at additional opportunities for agricultural development," Mel Knight, minister of sustainable resources development, said Tuesday.

"I think that it's a tremendous opportunity for agricultural projects there."

A Taber-area potato farmer had expressed interest in buying the land last fall in a private sale. Knight said the application from Louis Ypma of SLM Spud Farms was rejected, but the minister confirmed that the land now on offer is the same block. Knight said he expects Ympa to try again.

His original bid blew up a windstorm of protest from environmentalists and ranchers, who use the area for grazing. The president of the Alberta Fish and Game Association wrote a letter of objection to Premier Ed Stelmach.

"So little of Alberta's grassland region is left," said Carolyn Campbell of the Alberta Wilderness Association. "Only 30 per cent remains and, of that, less than two per cent is protected."

Nearly three-quarters of Alberta's endangered species live in grasslands, she said. The land being offered is home to the endangered ferruginous hawk and burrowing owl.

Knight countered that the area for sale represents about .15 per cent of the province's remaining natural prairie. A buyer would have to abide by federal and provincial regulations for endangered species.

"Any proposal must address and mitigate the impact on wildlife," said Knight, who added that some of the parcel has already been disturbed.

Money from the sale would go into a fund to help pay for other tracts with high conservation value, he added.

Knight also said that any buyer would have to prove to the government that there is enough irrigation water available to support the proposal.

A panel appointed by the province to advise it on managing the South Saskatchewan River watershed warned against tearing up any more prairie.

"On public native rangelands, the conversion to arable agriculture of other permanent uses will not be considered," said the panel made up of municipal, agricultural and industrial representatives.

Campbell said it's unlikely that wildlife would be able to co-exist with roads, land disturbance and chemicals associated with irrigated agriculture.

"There are many impacts that alter that habitat and irrigated land is one of the most intensive uses of land there is," she said. "The biodiversity on irrigated land really plummets to very, very low."

Knight said soil tests indicate that the land in question is one of the best places in Alberta for crop irrigation. Development would bring investment and jobs, he suggested.

The call for proposals on the land closes Oct. 31.

That is how Versaframe manufactures their product. Have used it and seems OK, would judge more on the guage between manufacturers.
    http://www.versaframe.ca/

Comment

Don't know all the details but the concept is OK with me. If we can supply irrigation water to suitable ground there is no excuse to not cultivate it. The added water, even in a semi arid area, is wasted on native grass. As long as the tender process is open to all I say go for it. HT

Comment

We ordered from the guys at Holden and are
        100% happy. Good price, fast turnaround,
        and great to do business with.
        I would vote for them over UFA any day.

Comment

"Knight also said that any buyer would have to prove to the government that there is enough irrigation water available to support the proposal."

Could be a tough job in that part of the province but given this is a Government with no integrity or honesty I guess showing them a pail of water would suffice as "proof".

Comment

While the area only represents 0.15% of
            the native prairie left, a death by 1000
            cuts is accomplished a single nick at a
            time. I would hope that the government
            would have a slightly higher standard of
            respect for the most endangered
            ecosystem in the world. Prairie is
            disappearing at a faster rate than the
            rainforest by a wide margin, and I doubt
            that Southern Alberta can sustain a long
            term increase in irrigated acres when
            there is so much growing demand for the
            water that is there.

Comment

Just FYI...
              We got coloured (Green) tin (can't
              remember the profile) to do our 93 year
              old barn roof. The order was cut to spec
              the day after I called, I showed up they
              loaded, helped me strap the load down and
              it worked out to just over $1.20 per sq.
              ft. That price included the foam
              closures, screws, flashings and top cap.

Comment

Sean I can't agree that the native prairie eco-system is one of the most endangered. The only practical way to destroy it is with the plow. I'm not supporting breaking land to dryland farm but for irrigation. As you point out the availability of water will limit irrigated acreage. BTW the SMRID (St Mary's) is increasing the acreage they will supply water to by 40,000 acres. More efficient use of water is making that possible. Don't know if the sale land is in that area. HT

Comment

HT - my question is why do you want to
                  destroy it in the first place?
                  Native prairie in NA is disappearing at
                  a very rapid pace (more quickly than
                  rainforest) and very little is actually
                  left (tallgrass prairie being the most
                  extreme example), and all it does is
                  sequester carbon, provide wildlife
                  habitat for a variety of insects,
                  mammals and birds, encourage
                  pollinators, clean/filter and retain
                  rainfall, produce food through grazing
                  animals, provide recreational
                  opportunities for the public, and
                  preserve biodiversity.
                  These are all DEFINITELY great reasons
                  to work on getting rid of such a
                  terrible blight on society.

Comment

I guess the question that comes to my mind is "do we need to grow more crops? We are already using farmland in our province to grow crops to make fuel to put in the tractors to grow crops and make fuel.

Comment

Consider how this thing went down?
                      First off SLM Spud Farm tried to buy the 16,000 acres without any tender. After the Western Stockgrowers and the Wilderness Association raised concerns about the deal and started asking questions about political cronyism, SLM withdrew their offer.
                      Wait a year and suddenly Mel Knight decides it is in the provinces interest to put the 16,000 acres up for tender? He stresses that anyone buying it MUST irrigate? Now who would have the amount of water allocation necessary to irrigate? Probably the only buyer who might have enough water allocation would be SLM!
                      This is another "Crony deal". SLM was a significant donor to the PC party.
                      Notice Knight states very clearly the private sale of this land must be for "irrigation"......cutting out any conservation group or grazers from buying the property!
                      Knight also states all endangered species must be protected? How do you protect burrowing owls and ferruginous hawks in a potatoe field? Answer: you don't.

Comment

16000 acres of pertatoes? What the hell are they going to do with al them thar pertatoes - make em into biofuel? LOL

Comment

That sounds great Smc!

Comment

The Alberta Government talks about doing conservation through Land Trusts and other tools which is good but why take a tract of native grass which they already own and therefore is already protected from development and the natural capital is intact and sell it to private interests to be cultivated and pretend that using that money in an Eco friendly manner diminishes the fact that breaking up the native ecosystem is OK if we protect something else somewhere else. The something else somewhere else could be protected as well as the land they removed the protection from.

Just to be clear, my neighbor broke a bunch of native grass last year. Although I found it personally sad this was his land and his prerogative to break it up. The land we are discussing here is crown land and it is inconsistent to say the least for the crown to sell something that they have repeatedly pointed out needs protecting. Just like them to make something more not less vulnerable.

Sorry for the runnnnn onn sentences above but a rant is a rant.

Comment

The fact is simple? Paying off a political debt. Big party contributions require big pay offs?
                              Note very clearly this land will not be sold to anyone who can't irrigate and grow potatoes? Sort of limits the field of bidders?
                              The timing is right. Outgoing premier isn't going to do anything....incoming premier won't have time before the tender ends! the people and media will be focussing on getting a new leader for the government and very possibly a snap election? Who will be watching or worrying about a piece of grass out in the boondocks?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...