• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts On Cow Prices?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cow Herd in Comedia is F*******. Cow Pasture upon Cow Pasture, Empty, Empty, Empty. On my Tours everywhere 10 Pastures empty to one with 10-20 Cows in er'. Thee Herd will never be rebuilt. The way The Livetock Industry is going in Comedia, Ship'er across The Pond, Noone here wants to work anymore. Sit in The Coffee Shop & Bitch they have to work 2 months outta the year Calvin Cows, Fixin Fence, & Puttin Hay up!!! Real Genies......

Comment

$2200/day? How can that be?

I have a nephew who is considering moving from the manufacturing arm of an oilfield tool manufacturing co. in Edmonton to take up a posting as a consultant with the operations side of the same company.

I think I can now see why . . .

The trouble with wages like that is that it makes the rest of us, especially smaller operators, look foolish for even getting out of bed in the morning! Good thing we love what we do!! (Most days haha)

When I hear stuff like that $2200/day I tell myself that it's a good thing that what I'm doing isn't nearly as important as his job! hahaha

Comment

ASRG, Your comment "Some of these young people are making big money in the oil patch. They can have the new trucks, the big house in the country, all the toys!" seems to be the mentality around here for sure - but what a fools paradise. Most of these guys live one paycheck away from being on skid row. Many of them have little education or ability to do anything other than drive an oil-field truck. I wouldn't trade places with them in a million years.
        Growing food, converting grass to beef is so much more secure and permanent business to be in.
        I know a lot of the guys wanting to sell would like to see $2000 cows but realistically most of the guys that are in cows for the long haul stocked up on cheap cows or retained enough replacements when prices were low that they won't be needing to spend $2000 now and I think that will cap demand. Look how fat price and feeder price has dropped since February, and with corn trading high lets just wait and see how strong the fall run is before getting excited about bred cow prices.

Comment

Now when I say this guy is a "young guy" I'm talking late thirties! Him and his wife own a couple of rental properties (one a six plex) and he has five quarters in Virden Manitoba that he got from his Dad and rents out (side note-he owns the minerals).
          I like to talk to him. He likes to talk about his job drilling for very deep sour gas around Fort Saint John. It takes a lot of skill (almost an art) to bring in a deep sour well. Some of the technology is pretty amazing!
          BTO: I never found it was much of a two month job? Seems like I never had a lot of time to laze about? But I will admit I have enjoyed my life.
          For everything there is a season. A time to start, a time to grow,a time to slow down, and a time to quit? That is life.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...