• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Korea lifts ban on Canadian beef

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Korea lifts ban on Canadian beef

From Meat and Livestock Australia
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Korea's Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MIFAFF) reported this week that it would lift an eight year ban on Canadian beef (Yonhap News).

Under the agreement, Korea will solely permit beef from Canadian cattle less than 30 months of age. Any fresh or processed products containing specified risk materials (including tonsils, internal organs and intestines, brains, skulls, eyes and spinal cords) will continue to be banned. Both countries also agreed that the Korean government will be able to independently inspect and approve Canada's processing facilities.

The agreement comes after four prolonged rounds of negotiations which commenced in November 2007. In response to the accord, the dispute settlement process at the World Trade Organization will be suspended and Canada will withdraw its claim against Korea once beef imports resume. Canada anticipates beef shipments to Korea will commence before the end of the year.

Prior to the ban in May 2003, Canada's market share in the Korean beef market was approximately 4% in 2002, with imports totalling almost 14,000 tonnes swt (KITA).

I guess this is good news for XL and Cargill? Not too sure if it means much for me? I doubt it will line my pockets one cent.

Comment

With all of the substitution between markets, we may not see a significant benefit. We saw some pick up in prices earlier this year, when the US market was exporting good volumes to South Korea.

Comment

It will mean something ASRG when you participate in a Canadian Beef web. If they choose and believe it will help their bottom line, of course Cargill and XL will benefit. But so will other true Canadian beef marketers. Keep the power in your hands, OR sell them your cattle and allow them the profits. Always our choice.

Let's see if Gerry and the CCA's hard on will encourage them to encourage true Canadian beef marketing.

Comment

Is there any beef to export? I see experts are down 24%
          Why doesn't the basis close if we are importing as much as we export?

Comment

WE? That's the word that "we" have screwed up. There is NO real "Canadian Beef" other than a few value chains. Basis is simply the profit taken by America from beef "produced" in Canada.

There is lot's of Canadian beef to export. And exporting it will simply raise the price for other Canadian marketers and producers. If the price for our superior product is too high, let the consumer buy from Cargill's supply of producers that they will always be willing to take advantage of.

It's all about changing the way "WE" do the cattle/beef business in our own country. It's our product and our responsibility.

Comment

Randy: All the power to you guys willing to get out there and market your beef. I'm in a "dispersal mode", not on a whim...it was planned this way.
              Looking forward to sunny winters down south.

Comment

Randy: Thinking about this, what options are out there to participate in a system that markets beef outside the commodity market?
                I'm sorry if that is kind of a dumb question......as I said before I'm headed in a different direction....but if you could give everyone a brief breakdown of the program you are involved in and how that can add to a producers bottom line...it sure might be helpful for some people?
                -by the way-I attended the meeting you and Cam held in Red Deer last year and met you after the presentation. You are definitely one of the few trying to make a difference.

Comment

No dumb questions and no right answers. But always alternatives.

There are lots of them ARSG. Every one requires a different level of participation by the producer.

First off, the producer has to want something more than what he has.

The number of individual direct marketing routes are endless and as with most things in life, understanding that the next step after independence is interdependence, is crucial.

I am personally a shareholder in Canadian Celtic Cattle Company. Small and growing. Marketing Natural Galloway, Welsh Black and Highland carcass animals. Not much room for new producers right now, but if someone came along with cattle and "investment" of capital and time we are open to ideas.

The ones that are functioning at higher levels are obviously the Heritage Angus program where I feel Christoph would also be open to producers with cattle, time and capital for their growing company.

Could work with some of the other half assed value chains like the new Spring Creek / XL program where limited input is required and limited profit received.

Another one that was a favorite of mine if they could have kept more grassroots producer involvement prevalent is Canada Gold. Once again, limited input and limited return.

Shoot, ARSG, some folks are doing it with Cargill with grid cattle.

The best one I know of and the program I feel has the most potential to change flow is Canadian Legacy Partners. A growing producer driven company like Heritage Angus with a goal to own, rather than partner with a packer.

Once again, I feel that CPM is the best partner option in the west right now, however I still see producer ownership in the plant as the final piece of the interdependence puzzle.

Looking forward to more time for holidays myself ASRG and hoping we can make changes to our industry to allow more producers those luxuries if that is what they want.

Comment

Randy, Randy, Randy. Wipe that drivel from yer mouth or I'll do it fer you. There ain'ta industry left, its dead. Take a drive around. Cow pasture upon Cow pasture, empty, empty, empty. Will takes years to rebuild the herd, BUT noone wants to work anymore, the old guys sayin the hell with it & cashin in, the young ones all but left fer the Big City Lights. YOU want there to be an industry, BUT Zero Earth payin yer bills. You know what their plan is ain't ya??? Farmitall, get big or get gone. Volume Economics, Speaks Volumes...........

Comment

To elaborate on Randys comments.... requirements for Heritage Angus

50% angus genetics, no hormone, no antibiotics, intake weights minimum 850 lbs and minimum truck load lots can be mixed heifers and steers but weights must be within 50 lbs of. Must be EU eligible... We feed at 2 lots and will have our own feeder association for financing cattle and feed through the finishing period. there is no capital investment required, however there is a one time membership fee of $2000... Our goal is to get the most out of the cattle possible, with all profits paid back to the members after expenses. Prices are based upon pooled sales for the year, placement bonuses and coming thsi fall grid pricing for carcasses... and not to poke at Randy again, you don't need to own the packing plant in order to achieve these goals. Check out www.heritageangus.ca for more info or how to contact...

Comment

To elaborate on Randys comments.... requirements for Heritage Angus

50% angus genetics, no hormone, no antibiotics, intake weights minimum 850 lbs and minimum truck load lots can be mixed heifers and steers but weights must be within 50 lbs of. Must be EU eligible... We feed at 2 lots and will have our own feeder association for financing cattle and feed through the finishing period. there is no capital investment required, however there is a one time membership fee of $2000... Our goal is to get the most out of the cattle possible, with all profits paid back to the members after expenses. Prices are based upon pooled sales for the year, placement bonuses and coming thsi fall grid pricing for carcasses... and not to poke at Randy again, but you don't need to own the packing plant in order to achieve these goals. Check out www.heritageangus.ca for more info or how to contact...

Comment

Poke all you like gaucho - my skin is becoming more like the feathers on ducks back every year. Everything simply runs where it is supposed to run.

How much capacity do you think the boys at CPM are going to handle. We were having a hard enough time getting a load or two killed last fall let alone a contract for 500 head a week.

You know darn well what the potential market for implant free barley fed truly CANADIAN beef is.

Comment

I think Randy is trying to say everything is water off a ducks back to him. He a big money, heavy weight, walk around the Club, like F*ck everybody, Wall Street buying his Bulls now........

Comment

Hugs and kisses to you's and yer's BTO.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...