• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSGA Position on Traceability

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSGA Position on Traceability

Western Stock Growers Association held a board meeting today and passed a positive resolution on traceability.

The gist of it is:

Whereas the WSGA has serious concerns with the present proposals regarding traceability and:

Whereas LIS (livestock inspection services in Alberta) already successfully performs the basic elements of traceability,

Therefore be it resolved that the western Canadian provinces adopt a single livestock inspection agency for the purposes of traceability based on the LIS model.

Awesome concept which should have legs. LIS has a proven record for providing traceability. The western provinces have about 82% of the beef cow herd in Canada. Doesn't it make sense for us to have a western solution rather than following the east? BTW 3 of the provinces already have some form of livestock (including brands) inspection. Lets get together and push this. The alternative IMO is loss of auction markets, loss of producers, and market disruption. HT

Would the intent be that cattle must be
    branded prior to leaving their herd of
    origin or would it be a commerce driven
    system?
    Are brand characters an issue (are there
    enough to go around)?
    I think inter-provincial brand
    coordination would be a great thing, but I
    know as you move east there are fewer and
    fewer cattle that are branded.

Comment

Hide brands are not the only focus of livestock inspection. In fact I picked up a LIS pamphlet at an ABP meeting some time back that on six pages didn't even mention brands.

The main point here is that livestock inspection is already tracking cattle movement in western Canada. That reality should be recognized and built upon instead of re-inventing the wheel. HT

Comment

Thanks HT. That helps to clarify. I
        meant to say coordinated livestock
        inspection (rather coordination of
        branding).
        I always wondered why it seemed CCIA could
        never sort out a workable deal with LIS.

Comment

It's called "job security" smc

Comment

So Happytrails, how does the LIS model track my ywf steer that was sorted into a feedlot pen of 300 back at the auction market during a presort sale? By the way, mine and 125 other steers in this pen are unbranded and most of them are YWF as well? Help me understand...

Comment

Just a guess, but I was thinking that
              LIS would basically take over the job
              from CFIA. In one stop they could read
              brands, check manifests, and read RFID
              tags. If things were cross provincially
              coordinated this would work all across
              western Canada.
              CFIA who is short on staff and
              inspection experience would benefit, and
              would be called in only for animal
              health related issues as is their
              mandate.
              I expect the brand inspection fees would
              have to rise to cover this.

Comment

I believe LIS is already doing the majority of what's being commented on already. Aren't they? When I have an eartag missing, it's the brand inspector that I'm reporting to...

Some day when they read the cattle at the auction marts, I believe it will be under the supervision of LIS.

Comment

First regarding Rukens steer. I'm not sure what you want to know. Is it which of the 300 head in the pen was yours? If he has your original RFID tag then that will tell you. Otherwise the records will only show that one of that lot of cattle came from your operation. I'm only surmising but it would seem that if a health issue arose in that pen all the contributors to it would be checked out.

Sean you say CFIA would get involved only when there is a health issue. I agree and further that there is no good reason to scan tags at auction markets when there isn't a health issue (99.9% of the time). Scan them into feedlots and call it good. HT

Comment

So Happy Trails, what I hear you say is that the RFID tags are ok and its just that the work should be done by LIS and CCIA should cut back to the bare minimum?

Comment

Stupid question....oops I forgot there are no stupid questions.

LIS will serve a bigger area and possibly have more to do. Bigger role not smaller.

CCIA will likely continue to do what it is doing and that is maintain a data base for RFID tags. That would include tag purchaser info, reported birthdates, reported slaughter, etc. About the same role as now.

Comment

Way back around 2000, when they first were discussing the bar code tags, I went to a public meeting at Innisfail. The message at that time was "we either do this or government will impose it on us"?
                        The late Carl Block had got roped into promoting this idea and he took a lot of abuse from the crowd! Carl was a true gentleman and talking with him after the meeting, I came away convinced that what he said about cattle producers controlling the system was much better than the heavy hand of government!
                        I'm not sure it turned out quite how Carl thought it would? And I'm not so sure about how affective it is?
                        Two years ago (?), when age verification was made mandatory, the system was sort of a joke?
                        I had waded through the painfully slow (at the time)process of age verifying all my calves on the website. Load up the first couple of loads of calves...try to print off the info.....and guess what....the age verification site froze up after printing 82 out of 146 calves! And it wouldn't come up again!
                        So I hauled them in anyway and gave the partial AV list at the sale yard (you couldn't unload without the AV list). I never heard a word about it!
                        Later I asked a guy who worked in the yards and he told me they just threw all the age verification lists in the garbage can anyway!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...