• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tubgrinding.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife and I started with absolutely nothing and still have most of it left. We have added to it considerably in the last 31 years but have learned a few lessons. Some of those lessons had a fairly large tuition fee.

Iron costs money no matter how you look at it. Personally, I have no use for a piece of iron that does a job that the cow is quite capable of doing on her own. Did attend an RFP school this past winter but had those ideas before I went.

Have had the bigger is better disease for years, now at 50 years of age with the cow herd near the 500 mark we are rethinking this philosophy. There are ways to to make a living at this business without the idea of running more cows to justify more iron. Regardless of the numbers in the herd, there had better be enough dollars to go around at the end of the year or you won't be around long.

Pecking with the chickens is not a bad thing to do while you are preparing to soar with the eagles.

Comment

Very easy to git overstocked when you are rapidly expanding. Especially when starting from nothing. Can cause serious long term damage to your grass stands and actually reduce your total production and wipe out profitability.
      Something to watch out for.
      I believe you need good,productive equipment. I don't like one of everything. It all depreciates to nothing and it all requires time and money to keep going.
      Good luck with your goals and dreams Allfarmer. We sure need new blood in this business.

Comment

Thanks greybeard you post is exactly why I follow agriville.

I am over half finished adding 500' of steel bunk fence and I can't wait for winter!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...