• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABP and privacy issues...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr. loric.... I will have to tell him that. haha

Only 2.5 weeks left in the office and 4.5 until the due date. We just bought a new-used crop dusting plane a couple days ago, so I will be spending my mat leave being bossed around on the runway by my husband as he flys.

Sean....yes you read that right. Because it's mandatory to pay the $3 check-off, legislation says all producers can vote and run for ABP.

Comment

Good comments , Ms. loric!

Comment

Happy trails, the motion that worries you is the one on reinstating the manadatory check off as non refundable? Note, that motion came from the floor by one producer, seconded by another and then discussed. The fall meeting that I was at had a motion like this come forwards and it was passed. It was passed by a reasonably narrow margin. Not because there were so many people directly opposed to it, but rather were in favor of it in principle but that the timing was to soon. The general feeling by most folks is that the refundable checkoff was a dumb idea and that it was pushed through by a few and led by a particular minister...

Comment

On a separate note, for loric (and others interested in the topic). I highly recommend a book for reading when you are on your maternity leave. The book just came out in 2010 and is entitled "Callous Disregard". It is the saga of the on-going crucifixtion of Dr. Andrew Wakefield, written by Dr. A. Wakefield.

The press has had a hay day with the man and his 1998 Lancet paper on inflammatory bowel disease and regressive behavior in children. As clearly stated in the paper, 8 of the 12 parents of the children treated in this clinical study, reported that their childs regressive behavior occurred after the child was vaccinated with the MMR vaccine.

Before you say, "oh yah, I read about this guy in the papers".... please don't pollute your thoughts with hear-say.... read his book and get the information first hand. You will be shocked! It is available through Chapters; although I recommend you order it on-line (much cheaper than in the store)...

You can order it directly from the Author, Dr. Wakefield, and a portion of the proceeds will go toward research on environmental causes of autism. Link: ($20.00 and signed)
          http://www.callous-disregard.com

Note: did you know that a brand of MMR vaccine was taken off the market in Canada because it was causing excessive cases of 'meningitis' or inflammation of the brain. The UK deceptively "renamed" the same product and used it in their MMR program for a while.

Note: Dr. Wakefield never said don't vaccinate. He stated the "polyvalent" vaccines were associated with the IBD and regressive behavior, and he recommended using "monovalent" vaccines (and not all at once).

MMR - polyvalent, measles, mumps, rubella
          monovalent - would mean just measles, just mumps, just rubella.

After Dr. Wakefield made this public recommendation, the UK health authorities de-licensed the monovalent vaccines, forcing parents to choose between the MMR and not vaccinating. Nice guys.

It is a very informative and well documented book.

Comment

To reply to ruken. Not sure if you were trying to reassure me or disagree. I will guess it is the latter. I don't think that the refundable checkoff is a bad idea; in fact I find ABP way more attractive since they became accountable to us. As their pity party further winds down they have a chance to do excellent work for Alberta cattle(wo)men.

Does anyone really believe that we wouldn't be looking at an increase in the checkoff if it hadn't went refundable? Remember it started out at 10 cents/head. HT

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...