• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

unthaw frozen waterer

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unthaw frozen waterer

Happy new year my livestock waterer froze in riser in ground pipe full of ice whats easiest way to open up thanks

There probably is something better nowadays but years ago when my dad had cattle and the same thing happenned we used a copper pipe with a small funnel attached to the end and poured boiling water through, quite amazing how quick it broke through. If you had a small pump attached to a larger container of hot water alot easier and not as messy. I know sounds a bit hill billyish but it worked.

Comment

I've had luck thawing water line by funnelling boiling hot salty water.The salt helps the water from not refreezing. I use a 3/16" plastic line and funnel. Good luck.

Comment

P.S let me know how you make out.

Comment

We've used hot salty water too. It worked well. Takes some time for it to work it's way down to below ground level though, so you have to be patient.

Do you have a heat tape down in the riser?

Comment

Hang a troublelight down the hole when you get it thawed.
            Heat gun is a great thing to have around.
            Just dont get it to close to the plastic pipe.

Comment

Best way is to stick a hose on your truck exhaust and down the hole. Cover the bowl with a blanket and go for coffee. Easiest way I've found.

Comment

A hair blower works well if you can get into the riser....not hot heat, just warm. The best yet was on a water ofutnain that I didn't get going until Feb last year. Used a cattle show blower and put the hose a few feet into the riser....couple of hours and totally back into business. A heat gun tends to be too warm and can melt some of the plastic...in the wrong places.
                Good Luck!

Comment

Here's an old sure fire way!! Take a 1 foot long piece of 8 5/5 well casing to a welding shop. Weld 2 ends into it, top and bottom. In the top drill 2 holes and take a "heavy wall" 3/4" nipple and weld it over one hole. Then attach a valve to it. Over the other hole weld a 3/8 heavy walled nipple. Then attach a length (20 ft) of 3/8 rubber hose over that nipple. Don't clamp!

On the bottom weld 3 legs so pot stands about 10 inches off the ground. Take a piece of 3 inch muffler tubing bent into a 90 degree elbow. Weld it into position so you can stick a propane blow torch in one end and the other points at the bottom of the pot. Then take a 4 - 5 inch band of sheet (10 - 13 gage)and wrap it around the bottom of the pot to act like a chimmney to direct the blow torch fire up along the side of the pot. And bingo/vwalla you have your very own boiler.

Make sure the 3/8 nipple is long enough to keep the rubber hose from buring from the propane torch fire.

Don't clamp the hose to the nipple. Cause if you don't drain the hose completely out after use an ice plug can block the steam from going through the hose and the pressure can blow the hose off. (safety valve :-))

Fill with water through the 3/4 inch nipple and valve. Leave the 3/4 open till you have steam, then when you shut it you should have instant steam out the 3/8 inch hose. If you don't you have a plug.

Dosn't melt plastic pipe or burn anything, and actually NB if you apply a little push to the 3/8 hose it will suck itself right down through the frozen mass, water or sewer.

NB. Weld you're name and phone number on it cause when your neighbors find out you'll have a hard time keeping track of it. Keep a calender and write their name down and charge them rent. lol
                  NB You notice my alias, I didn't tell you how to do this. But it works wonders. Used it for 40 yrs.

Comment

Da I forgot to tell you to put 1/2 to 1 gal of H20 in the pot. Obvious I'm sure. A little water makes alot of steam. Be careful it's hot. :-)

Comment

I have used my back pack sprayer filled with hot water....if it was only your supply line and not also the riser. Works good and quick and little water flying around.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...