• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stockmanship?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stockmanship?

I'm curious, does anyone know if there is any true demand out there for someone who is experienced and very capable of low stress livestock handling, the same methods that Bud Williams is known for and teaches? I'm not talking about the people who have bastardized it, but the very effective methods.

That is a great skill in your tool box and would weight heavy on my hiring list. On my operation there are several other skills needed as well. Mechanical, driving, agronomic etc. Also there are certain situations (large bush pasture) where Bud could use an aggressive dog.

Are you looking for work?

Comment

Since I cannot seem to make a go of the not seeding anything grain thing, I could be looking for work, I presume I must lack all those skills mechanic, driver, agrologist, manager etc. so I was just wondering what duties would you be expecting from the dog, as I am fit and still have my feet?

Comment

I was just asking but not needing help. I am not sure I could hire a rider fan though.

Comment

Awe shucks! and here I thought maybe I could make a move up from no name to "kibbles n bits" rations.

Yeah I don't think the football thing would work either! Geez!

Comment

Am I looking for work? I always am. I've even thought this year about doing the same as what Bud did, work for nothing if that's the only way that allows me to work the way I want to.

Comment

The two jobs that (mostly guys) seem willing to do for very little pay are truck drivers and cowboys. Guess the freedom is worth a lot. Good paying jobs are those that no one wants. HT

Comment

LOL yeah, those farmers and cattlemen....oh wait you said truck drivers and cowboys .

And even some of those cowboys and truck drivers are still overpaid. From some of my experience, some of them should be paying the employer to "work".

Yeah, good paying job...who wants that. No one in the cattle industry lol.

Comment

tman. If you are in the cattle business for the money you will most likely be disappointed. On the other hand if you choose it for the lifestyle and satisfaction you will never have a bad day. I was given that advice 40 years ago and it works for me.

Comment

Lifestyle...for sure. But I need to make money so I don't have to scout fields for the rest of my life. I don't need to make a gazillion dollars but enough to be viable. From my experiences, it is possible. The happiest I've been in 10/12 years was when I was on a ranch two winters ago. And by my rough calculations, I got paid equivalent of maybe $5/hour. But I'd trade what I have now for that again.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...