• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaun Haney interviews Keith Wilson

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaun Haney interviews Keith Wilson

Shaun Haney interviews Keith Wilson about the Land Stewardship Act. Here's the link:

http://realagriculture.com/2010/12/01/is-this-alberta-or-the-former-soviet-union-the-land-stewardship-act-is-unbelievable/

This page shows a MAP of Environmentally Significant Areas of Alberta with areas colored in Green for International importance, Red for National importance, and Blue for Provincial importance.

Link to AB Gov documents with details about the colored regions; further information and links (to map of Alberta Environmentally Significant Areas):
    http://tpr.alberta.ca/parks/heritageinfocentre/environsigareas/default.aspx

>

Thanks Kathy, I got it in my email yesterday too. Shawn could you post it in your usual format so that everyone can just click it and watch the interview? Maybe over on the commodity forum too as the guys over there seem unaware of anything happening that doesn't have the letters c, w and b attached to them.

Comment

I sent this to several on my email list and face book page. Sean it is an excellent interview and certainly helps keep the heat up. You probably joined the those of us who have a special file in Edmonton. Welcome to the club. Not sure where I got the link from but I have seen it several places including Ranchers.com.

Comment

Sorry for the misspell on your name Shaun.

Comment

www.Caepla.org-----Look at the Landowner Journal--Special Edition.

To those of you in ALberta there is detailed information on the bills and documentation from Keith Wilson who works closely with CAEPLA now.

For those landowners in Saskatchewan this edition is about the process CAEPLA is working trying to make awareness of why this province needs a Surface RIghts Access Fee.

This publication will be going to massive mailout to subscribed members of CAEPLA.

This is current, up to date information to keep putting the importance of "PROPERTY RIGHTS" to all Canadians no matter what province you might live in.

The radio ads that CAEPLA Connections have been running are available off this website as well. Q91 Drumhehller and 980 Regina.

Comment

Thanks for the cudos on the interview everyone.
            Apparently I can be a critical thinker. (inside joke
            from a couple weeks ago)

This bill is crazy. I have known Keith Wilson for a long
            time and trust his opinion. How this bill is written
            grants the government a scary amount of power that
            you need to be concerned about.

Comment

Guess I'm spelling your name wrong too - sorry! I have 3 customers whose names are Sean, Shawn and Shaun and I can never keep them straight either.

Comment

From reading this, I only have to think that Manitoba can't be far behind. They've already brought in a whole lot of regulations that have effectively done all they could to kill the hog industry. New large operations and expansions are outright banned, and now, from what I hear, the smaller ones are being required to build above ground liquid manure storage tanks, which pretty much no one can afford.

Once they're done with the hogs, are we next? I think we are. They're laying the groundwork now, if I read this article correctly.

"The Manitoba government plans to amend its Planning Act to allow itself to set up a process by which it will review applications for large-scale livestock production.

The province has set up an approval path for large-scale livestock operations in which a producer's municipality would retain authority over land-use issues, but the environmental approval rests with the province.

But the Planning Act amendments announced Tuesday "will enable the government to create a more comprehensive, transparent and inclusive process for the technical review committee (TRC) when reviewing applications for new or expanded livestock operations involving 300 or more animal units," Local Government Minister Ron Lemieux said.

Regulations are needed to authorize the provincial TRC to get and share additional information from an applicant, and from the public, on any proposed livestock operation, as well as to set out the process to be followed by the TRC in reviewing an application, he said.

The new review process would require a "comprehensive" site assessment for all livestock operations involving 300 or more animal units, as well as opportunity for the public and government departments to review and comment on the site assessment.

The amendments would also require the TRC to produce a summary report addressing comments raised in the government and the public review.

Local input would have to be allowed before a municipal council can proceed with a conditional-use hearing for such a proposal.

"The process requires applicants to submit a detailed site assessment that is placed on a public registry for comment on the proposal," said Lemieux.

The amendments, he said, stem from the recommendations of the provincial Clean Environment Commission's 2008 report on environmental sustainability and hog production in Manitoba.

Since the CEC report's release, the province has put a permanent ban on expansion of hog farming in areas near Lake Winnipeg and the Red River, including much of Lemieux's southeastern riding of La Verendrye.

The province has also introduced new buffer zones to protect water from phosphorus application, and offered farmers incentives to protect wetlands and riparian areas.

The provincial government late last year also announced plans for a complete ban on winter spreading of manure on farms in Manitoba by 2013, and for a "minimum capacity" requirement for on-farm manure storage"

Comment

Sean here...
                  I am pleased to see upon further review
                  that our entire farm is of National
                  Significance according to the map. I
                  feel so much more important now that I
                  know who will be taking our ranch away
                  without compensation. I now realize
                  that the province will only be an agent
                  for the federal government...
                  Another approach might be...
                  Perhaps if our place is so important,
                  maybe someone would like to provide some
                  funding to further help us take care of
                  it, or perhaps they should come and see
                  the kind of job we already do. Imagine,
                  on our few acres they have several
                  underpaid park wardens (us) on duty
                  24/7/365...

Comment

I've been working on the family history, and have been studying up on the Highland Clearances. I see parallels........... This time though, it may be antelope that replace the people, instead of sheep.

Comment

There is a reason this bill is called the "stewardship" act. The steward an employee of the "Lord" or "King" of the property/land (in Canada, that is still the Queen of England) - although for now, she is allowing us to run things "on our own". Good parallel kato!

I hate to put another burden upon my fellow ranchers, but you need to read the "Animal Health Amendment Act", which apparently has passed the legislature and sits awaiting proclamation. When the heck did this come through?

Link: Animal Health Amendment Act 2009
                      http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?page=2009CH17_UNPR.cfm&leg_type=Acts&isbnc ln=9780779741755

There are some things repealed from the original 2007-8 AHA, and some scary additions, including:

[destruction of animals]
                      "Section 28 is amended
                      (a) in subsection (1) by striking out “or” at the end of clause (e), adding “or” at the end of clause (f) and adding the following after clause (f):

(g) if the animal has consumed or is suspected on reasonable and probable grounds of having consumed the carcass or other parts of a dead animal contrary to a provincial or federal enactment.

(b) by adding the following after subsection (3):

(4) If the owner fails to comply with an order issued pursuant to subsection (1)(g), the Minister may seize,
                      destroy and dispose of the animal.

(5) The amount of expenses incurred in seizing, destroying and disposing of an animal under subsection (4) is a debt due to the Crown."

THEN, the real kicker is the new sections 70.1 through 70.8 ("delegated authorities"):

"SELF-GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS
                      70.1(1) The Minister may make regulations

(a) respecting the establishment of delegated authorities;

(b) delegating to one or more delegated authorities any of the powers, duties or functions of the Minister or an inspector under this Act, except the power of the Minister to make regulations;

(c) imposing conditions on the delegated powers, duties or functions;

(d) limiting the liability of a delegated authority and its employees, agents, directors or officers in an action for negligence with respect to the delegat ed power, duty or function
                      ......"
                      (this is just the start of PAGES of new LAW on "delegated authorities")...

What in the heck, does this new term "Self-government regulation" mean to us? From what I am reading in this covert Amendment, the province is going to permit a private company to MANAGE all the aspects covered under the Animal Health Act, including giving them all the POWERS OF THE MINISTER excepting the power to make regulation.

These "delegated authorities" will be the STEWARDS of the animals, and may as well, be the STEWARDS of the land.
                      Thus, they are OUR stewards.

Comment

Hi Everyone:

As per the request to post the link...
                        I embedded the video link in the first thread for everyone to see.

Thanks,

Joe Dales
                        Farms.com

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...