• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cattle Producers Welcome National Levy

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Immediate Release

(Calgary, Alberta) December 1, 2010 – Cattle producers across Alberta and Alberta Beef Producers (ABP) are very pleased to see the implementation of a $1 non-refundable levy to support important national market development, promotion, and research programs. The levy was implemented through regulation amendments that were filed on November 30, 2010. The filing of these last regulation amendments was the final stage in a process that was started by the Memorandum of Agreement signed by ABP and the Alberta Cattle Feeders’ Association (ACFA) in September with the encouragement of Alberta Agriculture & Rural Development Minister Jack Hayden and his senior department staff.

The non-refundable levy will provide stable and secure funding for the national and international marketing and research activities that are so vital to the sustainability and competitiveness of the cattle and beef industry in Alberta and across Canada. Industry dollars collected through the levy can be leveraged with outside funding at a typical rate of 6:1 to generate funding for programs that provide substantial economic benefits for cattle and beef producers. The implementation of a non-refundable levy in Alberta also will set the stage for Canada to begin collecting a levy on imported cattle and beef, a fee that is expected to provide a further $600,000 to 800,000 annually in funding for marketing and research programs.

With these amendments to ABP regulations, cattle producers will continue to pay a $3 check-off on the marketing of each head of cattle that now will include the $1 non-refundable levy and a $2 service charge that is refundable at the request of the producer. The regulation amendments authorizing the collection of the non-refundable levy are due to expire on March 31, 2013, but the levy can be extended if there is industry agreement to continue with it. Over the next two and a half years, ABP is committed to working with ACFA and our national marketing and research organizations to provide sufficient value from the investment of levy dollars that producers will support extension of the levy.

The nearly 28,000 beef producers in this province have an organization which represents their collective interests – the Alberta Beef Producers. Run by producers for producers, ABP is dedicated to supporting a truly sustainable, competitive and profitable cattle and beef industry for the benefit of all Albertans.

"provide sufficient value from the investment of levy dollars that producers will support extension of the levy."

That is the very reason there was a need to go refundable.

Comment

Good article loric. I'm glad the national levy is back in place and will be working for us. I also see that the majority of Alberta cattle producers are staying at the table. That's good because, while ABP may not be "perfect", there isn't a better organization out there that should be supported instead. In my opinion the rest are a bunch of subordinate pasture bulls making lots on noise but don't have the substance to make a difference at the end of the day.

Comment

Who by the way are u working for Lori?

Comment

I am Communications Manager for ABP....so everything I post here is from the organization.

If anyone ever wants to get in touch with me on email - that address is loril@albertabeef.org

Comment

Now the CCA is in a wonderful position to help every cattle producer in Canada by supporting mediation of the BSE class action. Whooppeeee. Thanks Lori. ;-)

Comment

Ha ha ha ha.....

(I wish we had smiley faces here)

Comment

Re the CCA...the Canadian Cattlemen's Association does not receive any of the $1 non refundable checkoff. The $1 non refundable check off goes to national research and promotion activities like BIC, CBEF and Beef Cattle Research. CCA will not receive any portion of that money.

The international trade and lobby work the CCA does (for example costs related to the WTO challenge of COOL both in the U.S. and Korea) is funded by provincial assessments that come out of the refundable portion of the checkoff that remains.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...