• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is it to cold to knife cut bull calves?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is it to cold to knife cut bull calves?

When is it to cold to knife cut bull calves? Normally we ring every bull calf at birth but some are born like Ed Stelmach?

Not sure about stepping into this but here goes. The old rule is that it is never to cold to cut a bull or too hot to cut a stud. Don't know how true it is. Years ago we had trouble with a bull cut in very cold weather. We will be banding with a calicrate. HT

Comment

OMG I forgot to check Novembers "Intangible benefits" the board will provide me in their update.

Comment

We've cut them in the cold, but always followed it up with lots and lots of straw for them to sleep in. The worst part of it was the frozen hands from dipping into the antiseptic solution for the scalpel. Hubby whined a lot over that.

We've switched to an XL bander, which is working well for us. It works much like the Calicrate, but the bands are much less money.

Comment

Good info thanks. The wifey keeps reminding me I killed the last bull calf I casterated. This time we actually do have blood stop powder on hand and I will only take one and do the other a week or two later.

Thanks again!

Comment

Here is a veterinarians perspective if it is of interest to you.

My 20 years in practice had me fall castrating bull calves for the main reason of the high incidence of Urolethiasis (waterbelly) on some ranches in east-central Alberta.

The fall "bull calves" we were "nutting" was done in October. The key at that time is that they were not on heavy grain ration yet. I used the "knife" and each testicle was "a slow pull" so that the elastic action on the cord worked. The bag was slit so that there was left two flaps for drainage.

Cold weather---never even considered that factor. If it was too cold to put my hands in the pail with disinfectant it was too cold to castrate bull calves.

Larger bull calves---culls from the bull pens I used caution and often tied eeach cord with "catgut" or use "versi-clips" on those animals. Recommended lots of bedding and indoor recovery in winter months. Antibiotic (Yellow long actine penicillin--Derafort). Today on those larger animals even banamine used with Long acting penicillin. Work hard to not be castrating older animals on my own ranch.

HT comments of castrating horses. As veterinarians we too stayed away from too Hot of conditions in the summer even when we did "standing castrations" on the well broke animals or Rompum/Ketamine approach on others to using "succinyl choline" on the "wild yearling studs. That was years ago now so I think I can tell that story at this time.

On Colts the anesthetic of choice depended on the "temperment" of the animal. I did admire watching the well trained "cowboy" rope technique done properly as well. With the right crews it was very humanely performed.

Comment

So this is what they mean by "going viral"! 2080 and counting at 10:30 PM Tuesday. Will it top 3000?

This little video would be funny if it didn't hit the mark to accurately. As things stand, it's an extremely sad commentary on our business.

Comment

3850 and counting.

Comment

Thanks Sadie

I would bet u know some of my uncles from Provost Coronation area Meier's & Lakevolds? The Lakevolds being good and Meier's well???

Sounds like we are soon not to have any vet here at all. The County was paying her $30K a year on top of what she made at her practice. Know an Vet's u could send our way High Level Fort Vermilion area?

Comment

If I get reincarnated I sure hope it ain't as young bull, hot or cold it don't sound very appealing!

Comment

Don't overlook the California Bander if you are banding. works as good as any and is much quicker once you have done a few.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK7TGUxg_wg
                      If you can do youtube this shows how simple it is. se anouther short vid on the sidebar with a bull. Takes about 5 seconds once you get the sac in your hand. I find it much easier than the ones with the jack and just as effective.

Comment

Allfarmer--

I have memories working with the Lakevolds. Calvin & Gerald. The late 70s the Osburne Lakevold ranch was the first time I saw and diagnosed ITEME (Sleeper) on a large scale in beef practice.

The comment about "lossing your vet"---it has been a problem now for over 20 years. It is not going away. There are 0 I repeat 0 farm/ranch rural background applicants even appyling for admission into Vet Schools.

I memtioned this earlier also the new Veterinary College in Calgary will follow the same path. Once anyone receives their DVM--(Large animal) obtain your license they will (Jump ship) and go companion animal. They have to because of economics and again the huge problem of "no diability coverage available".

This is why CFIA is having trouble. The H of A. used to acquire the Large animal veterinarians that could meet and talk to producers after their 20 year stint in large animal practice. They are basically gone now. Ask new qraduates about working for CFIA.---the stronger ones---with good communication skills comment---NEver lower themselves to that standard.

Just comments Allfarmer---work hard to keep your vet as long as you can. Haven't you married her off to a farmer/rancher in the area--then she has to work to keep the farm going.

Comment

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/CanadianWheatBoard"]cwb[/URL]

Comment

Greybeard, this seems so simple. Does the band get tight enough though? How many animals have you done with this tool?

Comment

It says in the instructions the band needs to be tight enough you cant slip your finger inside. Like all banders most of us only use them once a year so it takes a few before you get good at it.
                              I use it on some tail ender calves that are born late, I think about a couple of dozen last year. Same results as the Calacrate I had been using but much easier to get the band on and no doubt about having both nuts below the band as you never take your hand off them.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.