• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CRTC Ponders Rural Phone Rate Hike

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CRTC Ponders Rural Phone Rate Hike

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2010/11/10/con-rural-hone-rates.html

Canada's biggest telephone companies are calling for an end to subsidies that maintain low local phone rates in small communities.
    Last Updated: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 | 3:36 PM ET
    CBC News
    Canada's biggest telephone companies are calling for an end to subsidies that maintain low local phone rates in small communities.

Telus and Bell want the CRTC to eliminate rural telephone subsidies, which will save them millions but will result in a 50 per cent rate increase for rural phone service. (Adrian Wyld/Canadian Press)That means the cost of maintaining a landline for some Canadians may go up by 50 per cent. That would raise rates from around $22 to about $36 per residential line.

Right now, phone companies pay .84 per cent of their revenues into a fund to help subsidize rural customers. While smaller telcos benefit from the fund, larger companies resent paying into it. Bell pays about $60 million a year into the fund.

The phone companies made their pitches last week at a CRTC hearing in Gatineau, Quebec.

'The regulatory bargain is broken, and subsidy pools have been depleted by competition.'
    —Michael Hennessy, Telus"Today, the regulatory bargain is broken, and subsidy pools have been depleted by competition. Yet that obligation persists," Michael Hennessy, senior vice-president of regulatory and government affairs for Telus, told the commission.

Hennessy cites growing competition from wireless and cable providers as one reason why Telus should no longer be obligated to subsidize some customers.

He told the commission that since 2005, Shaw has lured 800,000 Telus customers to its cable phone service, which amounts to 30 per cent of Telus's traditional market.

Canadian telephone companies subsidize rural customers by paying .84 per cent of their revenues into a fund. (iStock)Telus also says wireless is also cutting into its traditional customer base, with 14 per cent of its landline customers cancelling their residential service in favour of cellphones At least half those customers have signed with Bell or Rogers, Hennessy noted.

"What all this means is that the costs of maintaining existing networks are now spread out over a decreasing number of paying customers," he said.

Opposition to the rural rate hike is coming from two of Canada's smaller phone companies, Manitoba's MTS, and SaskTel.

"We believe that these proposed local rate increases are unacceptable and that many residents are unaware of what is being proposed," said SaskTel president Ron Styles.

He told the CRTC that the rate proposals fail to take into consideration inequities in employment and incomes across the country. He wants a full public review before any change is adopted.

"In our view, if the CRTC is going to accept such rate increases, then the public must have an opportunity to comment on the impact it would have on them," Styles said.

SaskTel pays about $5 million a year into the fund and receives $27 million back to help serve its rural customers.

Interesting Fs. What you posted literally is all I know about the issue (so far) but I can't help but comment on my first impressions. First of all, those in far out reaching rural areas are participating in one of three (or related to) sectors (at least the majority). Food production, energy and forestry. So increasing the cost of living in rural areas effects all of the urbanites cost of living as all of them are major consumers of food,housing and energy.

Then the point that kept coming to my mind as I read the article. The major land line companies were not competitive and that is why they lost their market share. Poor service and non competitive rates made many jump to the alternative as soon as it was available. I know a few that moved to different service and Telus then and only then offered to match the price. These folks will likely never return to Telus.

As far as substitutes go. It is an interesting conversation that has further implications than I want to comment on here. Lets just say the rural phone service is in the interest of the whole community.

Comment

As far as I am concerned this is just
      the formal recognition of what already
      goes on. We were told that we could not
      even get a land line for 2 years at
      least after we moved to the farm this
      summer (even if we put the line in
      ourselves).
      The big phone companies have already
      abandoned the rural population long ago.
      We are cellular only customers now and I
      would like to stick the phone where the
      sun doesn't shine at Telus.
      It is great that we should penalize
      rural Canadians for simply generating
      wealth that the whole country is built
      on...

Comment

smcgrath - do you send and receive faxes by wireless as well?

Comment

I'd like to know too. Since we've gotten off the dialup internet, the fax is really the only reason we have a land line anymore. Our cell phones are cheaper to run anyway.

Comment

I know of 2 couples who cancelled their land lines and are just using their cellphones.

Comment

Is it just my experience or are fax machines generally unreliable junk? I have probably had 5 in the last 10 years, I use them very seldom but they just seem to crap out on me. They must be the most sensitive device to lightening strikes plus a host of other problems. Fax paper is not cheap either. My current one hasn't worked for a few months now and I don't know if I'll replace it - everyone can scan and email nowadays anyway.
              I think the fax machine is almost redundant in the modern age. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Comment

I'm not sure that it's a hijack because if the rates do go crazy (crazier) then I don't want to keep our landline if one can send and receive faxes "wirelessly". I need one because many of my customers fax their orders in. And, on the subject of the hardware end of it, our first fax machine was a Panafax PX150 and lasted from 1993 until last year . . .now this is turning into a hijack!

Comment

I don't think it's a hijack. Especially when the fax is keeping some of us on land lines.

I prefer to send a fax when it involves something financial. Security and all that.. I have only had one fax machine, and it hasn't caused any problems. I just use regular printer paper in mine. It's not all that expensive, especially when I send far more faxes than I receive.

Comment

EssentiaFax software on your PC will do faxing quite well. You do need a scanner for some faxes but that is no big deal as they are cheap now.

The software is $29.95 American I believe. You can try it for a month free.

Comment

If Telus gets their way and increases rural phone rates then they can kiss my account goodbye. I'll go with another company and use a cell phone or possibly Vonage.

Telus is a greedy company that has no service and very poor public relations IMHO.

Too bad our stupid government didn't keep AGT.

Comment

faxes come to my email as pdf documents.
                        I can fax documents out via the internet
                        either by scanning to fax if hard copy, or
                        using the software to send documents,
                        pdfs, etc.
                        This is pretty handy when you are on the
                        road.

Comment

I'm not intending to defend or promote telus here and have had our issues with them. Timing is everything though and if we all went wireless at once there would be all sorts of dropped calls etc on the cell service. It happens now when a crisis arises and when a tower or two are down. Also our Internet service while good now after changing from a provider that started out good is still less reliable than the land line. In the lifetime I have lived here the land line has been working with no downtime close to 100% of the time. Gf, get yourself a plain paper fax. Much cheaper on paper and you can use the back side of used paper to cheapen it up even more.

Comment

Tried both types per - both have proven unreliable. Currently have a HP Officejet fax/scanner/printer/copier - you guessed it the only part not working is the fax.

Comment

Fax doesn't work on our office jet either. We have a brother fax/phone that has been good for a year. I have thrown away more scanners than faxes. None of this stuff seems too reliable.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...