• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

calf bale feeder spacings

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

calf bale feeder spacings

Could use some help. I am building a round bale feeder for weaned calves up to 800 lbs. Was wondering what is a good spacing to have in between upright posts for single calves. Seems with cow feerders calves push in and then stuck behind belly or at hips. thank you

OMG... ha ha.... this is an ongoing problem with our stupid feeders to. I just hate it when Les comes into the house in the morning and asks "Can you help there's another daM# calf stuck in the feeder."

One of our neighbors has collapsing feeders so they can push the sides in to reach the middle better. He had them custom made. The only bad thing about them is that you have to stand them up when they are empty; but it solves this frustrating problem of getting calves unstuck from between the bars. I know my hubby is anxious to build some new feeders for the calves also.

Comment

I've built a round bale feeder with 12" upright post and never had a calf stuck in it . The calves were 600 pounds and up . Only mistake was the sides were built to high .

Comment

Hi chaser I was checking to see how your feeder is coming along. What were your final dimensions.

Comment

thanks for the ideas i went with a 11 inch spacing seems to work well i put bars on an angle so time will tell. only problem is i made this one to short. thought it would be plenty for 2 bales at 12 feet long next one will be 16 feet

Comment

Hi chaser Iwould like to know how high you made you made the front of the feeder.From the ground to the bottom of the neck.

Comment

Hi i made feeder about 20 inchs high from ground to bottom of neck seems to be ok

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...