• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Changes to GIPSA Impact the Canadian Cattle Industry? - Kevin Grier

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Changes to GIPSA Impact the Canadian Cattle Industry? - Kevin Grier

The American market is very important to the Canadian cattle industry. Domestic policies in the United States can greatly impact the Canadian industry. Just think about Country of Origin Labelling (COOL) and the discussion in Canada in terms of mitigating its impact.

There are some proposed changes to GIPSA potentially coming and questions and several American stakeholders are pushing for and against. What sparked my interest from a Canadian perspective is that R-Calf is in favour of the proposed changes. Usually this means that it is not not good for Canada or the industry in general.

I chatted with Kevin Grier from the George Morris Center about the GIPSA changes and we ventured into an interesting conversation regarding the impact of captive cattle on the market price. R-Calf is of course pushing to remove captive cattle from the system which would include not only packer owned cattle but forward price contracting as well.

&lt;em&gt;If you are looking for more information on GIPSA, check out these &lt;/em&gt;[URL="http://audio.agritalk.com/wordpress/?p=2209"]<em>AgriTalk interviews with R-Calf and NCBA.</em>[/URL]

&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.georgemorris.org/GMC/Staff/KevinGrier.aspx&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot;&gt;Kevin Grier works at the George Morris Center&lt;/a&gt; and is based in Guelph, Ontario. Kevin publishes a bi-weekly industry analysis entitled, &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.georgemorris.org/GMC/MarketSubscriptions.aspx&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot;&gt;Canadian Cattle Buyer&lt;/a&gt;. I hope you enjoy the interview and Kevin's comments.

If you cannot see the embedded video below, &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAYsNA9QHkg&quot;&gt;click here&lt;/a&gt;

&lt;object classid=&quot;clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000&quot; width=&quot;560&quot; height=&quot;340&quot; codebase=&quot;http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0&quot;&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowFullScreen&quot; value=&quot;true&quot; /&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowscriptaccess&quot; value=&quot;always&quot; /&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;src&quot; value=&quot;http://www.youtube.com/v/CAYsNA9QHkg?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;color1=0 x234900&amp;amp;color2=0x4e9e00&quot; /&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowfullscreen&quot; value=&quot;true&quot; /&gt;&lt;embed type=&quot;application/x-shockwave-flash&quot; width=&quot;560&quot; height=&quot;340&quot; src=&quot;http://www.youtube.com/v/CAYsNA9QHkg?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;color1=0 x234900&amp;amp;color2=0x4e9e00&quot; allowscriptaccess=&quot;always&quot; allowfullscreen=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&lt;/embed&gt;&lt;/object&gt;

Who sponsored this weeks segment - was it Cargill or Nilssons?
    You should read the NFU cattle report again before misquoting it - they didn't suggest no contract cattle they suggested only with fixed price contracts with public disclosure of terms.
    So the feedyards are all happily dealing with the packers now and there aren't and captive supply arrangements? Really? what about all the stories post BSE about the packers having the feedlots by the short and curlies and pressuring them into becoming captive supply partners? Was that all made up too?
    Grier's quote about under 20% of kill being captive supply - I'd like to see his data on that. While you are at it pull up all the reports from over the years that show that captive supply practices do not have a negative impact on cattle prices. But don't just pull them, pull the reports showing the opposite - of which there are many.
    I guess you guys went trick or treating as fairies - because this is the biggest fairy story I've read for a while anyway.

Comment

what a load of tripe. when grier says contracts take supply out of the market why doesn't shaney have the balls or brains to say but it also takes demand out of the market. haney has to learn all the a/v equipment in the world won';t make him a critical thinker and that's what he needs to be if he thinks he's going to produce anything of value. otherwise he's just lobbing softballs to whoever will give him the time.

Comment

Shawn can't help it, he's got "hostage syndrome" genetically.

Comment

Since some of you think I am some sort of packer
          honk, here is Troy Marshall's commentary on GIPSA
          and the position of the packer on the subject.

Opinion: It’s Too Bad That The Packers Don’t Care
          Nov 5, 2010 11:41 AM
          The proponents of the GIPSA rule are always talking
          about the packer lobby, and how packers are
          opposed to the proposed GIPSA rule. Certainly,
          there are elements of the GIPSA rule that would
          alter how packers do business and, yes, they
          adamantly oppose the provisions that seemingly
          could open them up to a steady stream of inputs.
          Yet, it’s a monumental mistake to assume that the
          packing industry is leading the charge against
          GIPSA.

Admittedly, the great conspiracy is harder to sell
          when one realizes that those most adamantly
          opposed to the rule are cow-calf producers and
          cattle feeders, just like the ones supporting it. The
          harsh reality is that increased regulatory burdens
          almost always benefit the big and established.
          Obviously everyone doesn’t look at the value-based
          marketing revolution in the same light, but it’s
          important to understand who the opposition and
          proponents of GIPSA truly are.

It would be a serious mischaracterization to say
          that the packing or feeding sectors are supportive
          of the GIPSA rule, but in the end they really don’t
          care and likely will benefit from its implementation.
          Everyone I’ve talked to believes implementation of
          the GIPSA rule will force prices to the lowest
          common denominator where everyone is paid a
          similar but lower price. There will be premiums
          paid, but far fewer than in the past due to the
          burden of having to prove justification.

The interesting thing is that discounts will largely
          go away; there is just too much risk. Prices will start
          and largely end at the lower end of the price
          spectrum. Large packers, of course, will sort the
          product and still capture some of the value.

Yes, packers worry about removal of the incentives
          for quality – fearing it will eventually lead to falling
          demand – but the bottom line is that size rules in a
          commodity system. After adjustments are made to
          business models – shifting away from the value-
          added mantra of the last couple of decades back to
          a commodity mindset – the packing industry will be
          just fine.

Packers love the game where they pay the same
          price for everything and then sort out the value on
          the other side. While these are new rules that GIPSA
          proposes, they are rules that will benefit economies
          of scale and will allow packers to capture more of
          the value of superior genetics and management.
          -- Troy Marshall

Personally I find it hard to agree with RCalf and the
          NFU on much. Have a great day and thak you for
          your compliments. LOL

Comment

when Darren Qualman worked at the NFU he told me
            that it is the NFU's position to remove all definitions of
            captive cattle and return the market to a true open
            cash market.

This would include forward pricing, basis locking, and
            grid cattle and packer ownership. I share some of the
            concerns on packer ownership but removal of
            gridding, basis and forward pricing would be negative
            to the feeder.

Comment

i don't know if you're a 'packer honk' or not. i think you put together lousy productions. you're so busy sucking up to whomever you interview that it doesn't seem like you even listen to what they're saying. as i said, critical thinking obviously isn't your long suit. why do you never ask hard questions where an interviewee would have to defend their position?

Comment

Sorry that you don't like my interview style jensend.
                Thanks for listening. In my defence I was not
                sucking up to Kevin Grier at all. I would say that his
                points are very close to the majority of people that I
                have talked to on the GIPSA subject unless you
                believe in the R-Calf rhetoric. I have had numerous
                discussions with ranchers and feeders on the topic
                and all shared the same points as Kevin, the NCBA
                and others.

And by the way I do listen to what people are
                saying to me. Have a great weekend.

Comment

Never mind tittle tattle Shaney here is the relevant paragraph outlining the NFU proposal contained in their cattle crisis document.

1.4.1 Executive Summary:
                  Solutions:
                  Deal with packer and retailer power

1. Ban packer ownership and control of cattle, and require that all cattle go through independent auctions or be sold by fixed-price contacts with full disclosure of terms. Putting a high proportion of cattle through open, independent auctions creates significant
                  benefits: increased bidding intensity, transparent price discovery, enhanced access for small farmers and independent feeders to important markets, opportunities for small processors to buy fed cattle, protection from packer retaliation, and increased trust within the system.
                  Further, not all cattle sold by auction need to make the physical trip to the auction yard. Some of that sale volume could take advantage of advancing technologies in satellite and
                  Internet auction sales, thus saving stress on the animals and transportation costs.

Though packers must be banned from owning cattle or using captive-supply contracts, some cattle will continue to be sold, under contract, directly to packers. Such contract sales reduce travel, handling, and auction costs. When contracts are used, however, their
                  terms must be submitted to a federal agency and made public within 48 hours of signature. Contracts must also contain firm prices. Fully disclosed, fixed-price contracting allows all sellers and buyers to determine real prices, increases fairness and
                  trust within the system, and helps balance power.

Comment

Funny the talk of breaking captive supply practices being bad for the consumer because the packer won't be able to continue to supply the consumer with an ever increasing quality of product.

The whole "industry" has it's head in the sand on what domestic consumers want. I dropped off another $10k of beef to customers in Calgary yesterday and had half a dozen passers by want my business card while I was doing it. The consumers are clamoring for grass-fed, hormone and implant free beef. This market is growing at 50-100% a year,the demographic of our customers is a marketer's dream and almost everyone in the business is sold out of product this fall.
                    The consumer is turning away from your commodity product - they don't want the hormones, drugs and confinement reared animals. How will that affect the "Canadian Cattle Industry"?

Comment

Sounds like your hormone free business is going well. Thats great. I think that is a great market that will continue to grow for those that are early adopters.

Comment

shaney, you may want to pass this link on to your readers.
                        GIPSA rule’s costs substantial, analysis finds
                        The article is found at
                        http://www.drovers.com/news_editorial.asp?pgID=675&ed_id=8127&news_id=207 12&ts=nl2

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...