• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multi-Species Grazing

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi-Species Grazing

Anyone grazing cattle and sheep together in a more intensive management system? What do you see as the pros and cons of the system?
    Just looking for input.
    Thanks.

No experience but like you I am very interested. I was leaning toward goats so I don't feel as bad when the wolves are snacking on them. It looks like they would chew some problem species.

Comment

I graze them cows first and then sheep. It works really well for weed control as once the cows knock the high stuff down the sheep really get all the broad leaf stuff cleaned up. As long as you don't overgraze it works great.

Comment

If I could afford a few extra hot wires I'd be buying sheep right now to graze in our system. It's only been the last 5 years that we've rebuilt enough perimeter fence and set up electric to graze cattle intensively with single wires. For sheep I'd want to have 2 more hotwires below the cow wire.

Sure hard to think about it and not act on it, when you know there's money to be made in sheep right now.

Comment

I think I'd want something better for perimeter fencing with sheep. We used a little electric fencing with sheep in the old country and some of them are just too smart for it. When it gets to this time of year, with a heavy fleece some of them learn that if they run through an electric fence fast enough they didn't get much of a shock. Don't ask me how they learn but I remember one year we had about 20 lambs that were unstoppable with 3 strand electric - just went through it like rockets then stopped immediately on the other side and started grazing. Don't underestimate the intelligence of a sheep!

Comment

Ditto on the unsheared sheep. They seem
            to know exactly when they have enough
            wool built up to charge electric fence
            with immunity.
            A big fencer, a couple of lower wires
            and a training session immediately post-
            shearing...
            We have quite a bit of page wire left
            from our sheep days. Our cows have no
            respect for page wire, but stop dead for
            a 1 wire electric.