• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nilsson Bros Presort calf show pens

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilsson Bros Presort calf show pens

I heard Garth Rogers on the radio today still pushing the "Show pens" saying guys need to step out of the ice age and use their Presort Show pens.

I really wonder what guys think about this.

I think its likely a pile of BS Our cattle shrink when they are on the truck to the Mart then when they arrive Nilsson's want to weigh the cattle and take off a persentage for future shrink. The further you are from the mart the more they want to pencil off your calves. I think this is bull because after a few hours in a shaking bouncing trailer all that will come out of that animal has already run out of that animal. For me 8 hours from the mart how much more could the shrink and yet I if I sold my calves their would get hit the hardest pencil shrink in effect double shrink.

I wonder if this has more to do with Nilsson's Horizontal intigration of the market......because "They own a palking plant and feedlots.

I was ranting please forgive all the spelling mistakes!

Comment

No, it has to do with them being in "control". If you don't like it then keep on truckin' a few more thousand miles.

Dat is the Fac' Jack...take it or leave it.

Comment

I have no time for Nilssons and would never sell in their auctions but I think producers have a lot to gain by managing shrink better. Any of the pre-weigh, presort sales I have seen likely result in the rancher getting paid on more pounds through the ring than sending calves in for an overnight stand and getting weighed into the ring on sale day. True enough cattle lose a lot initially in transport but add an overnight stand - maybe it's 24 hours between stepping out of the field and entering the ring and they will continue to lose weight - more fill and eventually muscle. Worse if they are shut off water as most are. My guess is that most calves weaned into the auction will lose 10% of their field weight - they would be better off losing 3% in their trailer and taking a pencil shrink of another 3% going into a pre-weigh presort. I think these are the way of the future - especially if they weigh them off the truck and then put them on feed and water until sale time - this would surely reduce stress and illness in calves compared to a 12-24 hour empty stand?

Comment

At the presorts here, the further they are the less they pencil shrink them. I'm not sure what happens with cattle that had an 8 hour ride. Could be negotiable???

Comment

Sloth runs deep in the grain industry...they're just performing up to standard.

Comment

I just want to know who is the sloth that causeth the problem

Comment

There is other places Wil Triple J, TEAM, 1.5 hours more gets me to Vold

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...