• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

plastic "Easy Wean" calf nose inserts

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plastic "Easy Wean" calf nose inserts

We are giving these a try this year on some of our calves. So far they seem not to hard to put in and the calves can still eat grain with them in. I think if we can wean them with out all the bellering and balling the calves will continue to do good.

Tried these about 10 years ago and now they sit in a box. Don't leave them in too long----longer than 4-5 days and there is ulcers starting to develope in the nasal area---this can lead to respiratory disease.

You will see that some calves will learn to nurse through the side of the appliance.

Have fun.

Comment

We've used them on the odd late calf, mainly because we've got some cows who will find a way to get back to them once the rest have been weaned and put into their winter pens. It was easier than chasing cows that got out of the pasture so they could come stand by the calf pen and bawl. They worked pretty well for that. LOL

Comment

We have used them for 4 or 5 years now and really like them. Combined with fence-line weaning and only leaving them in for 3-4 days maximum they provide the best way to wean in my opinion. Can get rather icy if you get a hard frost and are still grazing which might make them more uncomfortable. Virtually stress free from the calves point of view but I swear they make the cows bawl worse that first night after separation! Night two the cows go completely quiet.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...