• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Scanning by Alberta Auction Mkts

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Scanning by Alberta Auction Mkts

I have it from a good source that the Alta Auctions Mkt Assn is refusing to scan and report RFID movements through their facilities. Don't know how the government will react. I think the auctions should be prepared to close their doors if penalties are threatened. That would promptly bring things to a head. And those of us who agree with their stand had better show it. HT

PS. FYI the CFIA rep at the meeting with the auction mkts barely spoke English and left for Montreal half way though to attend a picnic. Maybe a slight lack of interest in our concerns?

I don't think the auctions should bear the cost of scanning and reporting movements either. Time to tell the Government to dig in their pocket and pay for it - they have already done it for the packers so why not for the auctions?

Comment

I agree GF. Even though I see the
      potential for an auction to profit in the
      short term by offering a value added
      service, by making a program national or
      provincial and forcing it, there is no
      potential market advantage. If this is
      the approach then Gov't should step up and
      pay.

Comment

What are we going to gain by scaning cattle at the auction, except giving some candyass pencil pusher a job..

Comment

Traceability.

Comment

Apparently some of us have failed to understand that the government is us and to make the government pay is the same as make us pay. If the costs to the industry are greater than the benefits then plans to scan at auction markets and other intermediate locations should be scrapped.

Comment

The packers clearly don't have any qualms about making us (the tax payers) pay for their scanning equipment so why should the auction marts?

Comment

Do you think the average consumer really cares about being able to trace a tag or getting the cheapest chunk of meat so she has money left to run her SUV.

Comment

I think the biggest reason that
                  government should pay if they choose to
                  implement this system...
                  Traceability is to protect us (the
                  public)
                  If we (the public) want this measure, we
                  (the public) should pay for it.
                  I know that means we pay through taxes,
                  etc. but the cost share between the few
                  thousand of we (the producer) versus a
                  few million of we (the public) is a
                  significant difference.
                  We (the producer) may not have much
                  choice about having some of these things
                  forced on us.

Comment

Profarmer - absolutely, the Canadian consumer has never been more concerned about knowing the source of their food. I have built a beef direct retailing business based on that fact - they want to know and trust the producer of their food (traceability)and price is of little or no concern to them. Too many cattle producers confuse the low prices and demand they get for their cattle at auction or the packers yards with a low demand from consumers - big difference.

Comment

Some consumers really do care. But at the moment, not enough to make a real difference, IMO. At least in a grocery store.

I see that at the farmer's market every week. There are those who will just go for the freshest and best tasting, and not even ask the price. They know and appreciate the quality, and are willing to pay.

Then you get the odd one who says "I can get carrots a lot cheaper at Safeway." One lady even told a vendor at our market that there was no reason to charge more than the grocery store, because the cost of garden seeds hasn't gone up. No concept of labour or all the other things that go into growing produce.

That being said, it is changing. The local food movement is growing quietly in the background, and will get bigger with every rood recall.

The thing about it is that no one has mentioned yet is that those who care where their food comes from and want to know will not be going to Safeway or Sobey's to buy it. They will be the ones buying direct from producers.

I think the grocery stores know this, and support for traceability is one of their ways of dealing with the competition from direct sellers. Just look at the Superstore's new campaign about supporting local growers and you'll see it.

Comment

typo.... rood recall?

make that .... food recall. LOL

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...