• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shrink

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shrink

What do most people expect the shrink on yearlings sold through the auction to be?
    No rodeo getting them rounded up - just a quiet step onto a trailer, 20 minute haul and an overnight stand. How many of you have weighed them at home then matched that with the sale ring weight?

We don't have a scale in the yard, so haven't actually done the measurement. I'd also like to hear from someone who has weighed theirs at home.

If they've been on pretty lush grass, I do know it can be significant. That stuff clears the system pretty quickly. Add some heat, and it goes up even more.

Comment

Don't be surprised if it's 5% or more.

Comment

Consistently saw 650 's go 9% with almost the same description of a quiet load etc...

Comment

a gallon of water is 10 lbs, plus a pile of crap. Likely will breath out more water than anything.

A 3% shrink on 1000 lbs is only 3 gallons of water. A animal that has been loaded up with water before hand might actually loose more than the 3% and certainly won't right comfortably.

Comment

On backgrounded calves, shrink can mean the difference between a loss and a profit. It's that important. And the margin is that narrow!

Comment

I've weighed two shipments of cattle this year. One in the spring, yearlings on hay and one this week yearlings on grass. Both times hauled 8 miles weighed on trailer then hauled 1 more mile to auction mart. Overnight stand and sold by noon. Both times shrink was between 8.5 and 9%.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...