• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

News on Cash Advances..

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

News on Cash Advances..

You may all be interested in reading this story that was in the Co-operator today.

I wonder just how many calls they've gotten from people who said they just don't have the money to repay this.....

Staff
    8/6/2010 7:41:00 PM
    Printer Version
    Email Article to a Friend
    Comment on this article

Related Items
    More News by Topic
    Livestock View!

i

i

Cattle and hog producers who have repayments owing under the federal Advance Payment Program (APP) have been granted a break on their deadlines.

"We are providing the extra time that will give producers the breathing room they need to seize market opportunities and improve their bottom line," federal Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz, speaking in Saskatoon, said in a release Friday.

Eligible producers have been granted a "stay of default," which allows them to spread their APP repayments out over a longer period of time and avoid default.

Two new stays of default will take effect Oct. 1, the government said Friday. Producers can contact their APP administrators for more details and to establish new repayment schedules.

Cattle producers will get until March 31, 2012 to repay amounts owed, with regular repayments to begin eight months from the start of the stay.

Hog producers, meanwhile, will have until March 31, 2013 to repay amounts owed, with regular repayments to begin 18 months from the start of the stay.

Regular APP advances will continue to be available to producers who meet the program eligibility criteria, the government said.

"Allowing more time for livestock producers to meet their financial obligations makes sense and helps producers better manage their cash flow and take advantage of the best market conditions," Jean-Pierre Blackburn, minister of state for agriculture, said Friday while making the same announcement in Quebec City.

"Short-term measures"

Hog producers have recently been seeing better returns from the market, but several months of positive margins can't erase over three years of mounting debt, the Canadian Pork Council said in a separate release Friday.

"Without this extension producers would have been forced to repay the full amount of the loan in September -- a time when their ability to repay any significant debt is at its lowest," the council said.

Travis Toews, president of the Canadian Cattlemen's Association, noted in the federal release that the national and provincial beef cattle associations have been discussing the optimum timing of this deadline internally and with ministers and bureaucrats for months.

"This flexibility strikes a good balance of working to clear up outstanding amounts while allowing producers to focus on the future," said Toews, who farms at Beaverlodge, Alta.

Canadian Federation of Agriculture president Ron Bonnett, in a separate release Friday, said the CFA "has been calling for several short-term measures to address business risk management shortfalls affecting various farm commodities, and the APP extensions are a key part of this approach."

"The emergency advances under the APP provided a critical means of assistance when the hog industry was under unbearable economic pressure," Pork Council president Jurgen Preugschas of Mayerthorpe, Alta. said in the council's release.

"Today's announcement will further strengthen our industry by providing producers the opportunity and time to review their cash flow, manage their financial obligations and focus on farming."

I think the Government is getting into dangerous territory here - at the end of the day you are borrowing money and know that it needs to be paid back. There is a limit to how far they can stretch out the re-payment period.
    One thing that seems to have surprised a few people with the current stay of repayments is that you must have enough animals on hand to cover all your claims. If you claimed for 3 years worth and have still to repay the sums you need 3 years worth of young cattle on your place. I wonder if this will also be the case with the new extension?

Comment

Not to worry grassfarmer, Stockwell Day and his
      cronnies will have lots of new prisons to put us
      farmers and ranchers into when the time comes. If
      your really worried about government mismanaging
      our money, take a look at their military
      subcontracts; their dishing out our tax dollars to
      their friends and we sit back and pay and pay and
      pay...the list of bad loans is endless.

?Building new prisons for crimes that are going
      unreported? hmmm hey if the people fall for it

Comment

I think they just know that the money's not there for them to be paid back, and if this fall came and the defaults stacked up too high, it would only bring this whole BSE debacle right back to the front page of the newspapers. It would prove cattle producers' warnings of how bad things are, and put it right out there where it couldn't be denied.

Whatever the reason, I'm betting there are a lot of people who are breathing a sigh of relief about this, and for their sakes, no one should complain about it.

Working on this petition, and talking to a lot of people, I've learned that there should be no doubt at all about just how bad things are. We need more than a few months of good prices to get things back on track, but this could help in the meantime.

Comment

2 more producers here quit this spring.

People are selling calves and not paying the advance back is right. I asked the wife if we had too and she said no we didn't...stay of default. I thought I should double check that but didn't...to busy as always. Later on we found out she had been wrong. Anyway they were good about it, I guess they kind of had to be....blood from a stone theory.

Comment

The backup security on these is future government income security payments. I would guess that's Agristability and Agriinvest.

Comment

Just thought of something.... is this why they're dragging their heels on processing this years Agri-invest????

I sure hope I'm wrong on this one.....

Comment

Of course I'm wrong. They don't take Ag program money unless it's in default, and this delays that doesn't it?

duhhh.......

Must make a note: Don't think too much before morning coffee. Wait until brain is awake.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...