• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BSE Petition Progress Report

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BSE Petition Progress Report

I got a phone call yesterday from Alex Atamanenko's Ottawa assistant. He is one of the MP's I sent a petition to, and he's the NDP Agriculture critic. He's also a member of the Standing Committe on Agriculture.

The response I'm used to getting from politicians is, Thank you for your letter, and then a big long spiel about how hard they are working in our interests, yada yada yada, a few pats on their own backs, and a good bye.

This was different. Much different. Refreshingly different. We talked for a long time, and I think it's fair to say that our cause has an important supporter. He is going to take our petition to the Standing Committee in the fall and propose a motion to take it to the floor of the House for a full on debate. Apparently there are enough opposition members on the committee that the Conservatives can not defeat the motion.

One of our priorities should be to make sure everyone on this committee has a petition on their desk before summer's end. It's of the utmost importance that these MP's are aware of what's going on.

Now if this gets to a full debate, and we have enough MP's in the House who have received petitions, and know what's going on, maybe we can get something done. At the very least, we are back on the radar.

After that, it's up to us to keep our profile up and keep reminding them that what has happened to the beef producers of this country did not have to happen, is totally unfair, and is not our fault.

So everybody out there, if you have not signed a petition, please do so. If you want a petition, email hello.iamkato@gmail.com or check out www.facebook.com/bseclassaction

We've got a good start here, so let's get it done.

Alex Atamanenko is a smart fellow and a thinker. He was the sponsor of Bill C-474 which would require that "an analysis of potential harm to export markets be conducted before the sale of any new genetically engineered seed is permitted.” This pertains to GM wheat and alfalfa particularly. A fairly reasoned stand you might think? Take a look over on the commodity board and you will see a post bemoaning how much media space gets devoted to the NFU and their supporters - like Alex Atamanenko.
    The biotech industry is trying to influence Government to oppose the bill of course as they want to sell GM seed and control the market. Yet it seems a lot of farmers are so blinkered in their thinking they can't tell who is trying to help them and who is trying to screw them over.

Comment

When we started this whole petition campaign, we all agreed that personal agendas, and organizations would stay off the table. We are not a group. We are every cattle producer who has been hurt by BSE. This is an initiative from independent cattle producers who all agree on one thing.

We have been wronged by our own government.

Actually, we've got people working together on this who would never normally work together. This issue is bigger than partisan politics and personal philosophies. I think that this alone should demonstrate how determined we are.

Anyone in Ottawa who is willing to help us, no matter what their label is, or what their politics, is going to be appreciated. Before this is done, this could very well include the Bloc, (and I hope it does), and if it helps us get some justice, then good. We are all in this together, no matter where we live in Canada, and no matter what our personal politics are.

The grain guys can bicker, and dismiss opinions and possible helpful policy suggestions based on personal biases, but we need to be bigger than that.

Because this issue is bigger than that.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...