• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cattle Health Problem

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have treated them for 8-way, but what about Haemophilus?

Heres a link that might explain the congested lungs (Pasturella) and maybe why it was the younger animals if they hadn't been vaccinated? The photosensitivy would just be a result of the fever / pneumonia / sunburn

http://www.anslab.iastate.edu/Class/AnS426/transfer%20skaar/References%20and%20Materials%20For%20Beef/Cow%20Calf/Haemophilus.htm

Comment

Again the vet ruled that out. There were no pneumonia symptoms and no fever either - temps were elevated but surprisingly very little above normal. That did occur to us though as this is the first year our yearlings have only had 8-way. Previously they were done with Somnus-PH as well.

Comment

grassfarmer...did your vaccinations cover red water...my brother had some problems with land up in your area...they started vaccinating for that and have had no more problems since

Comment

I've never heard of redwater... I found a good article on a bison site that has a good explanation.

http://www.bisoncentre.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88&It emid=288

Redwater is unheard of in our part of the country. According to this article, this seems to be a clostridial thing. Since pretty much everyone vaccinates with 8 way, maybe that's why we've never heard of it here.

If this is what it is, it sounds like your treatment protocol was exactly what is called for.

Comment

Redwater is something I'm familiar with as it occurred in Scotland. Apart from the one animal there was no evidence of "red water". Again the vet ruled it unlikely as the other symptoms didn't really fit. It is one of those annoying outbreaks that nothing exactly fits the symptoms. However I think they are all on the mend - 2 or 3 still fairly sick but all getting better in my opinion.

Comment

Had similar health problem with whole herd nine years ago around slough and swamp with old moldy slough grass (suspected). This area not pastured for about thirty years. Whole herd with water running from their nose, heads down, ears down, pathetic attitude...didn't lose any. Vet looked at 'em, couldn't say what was wrong...said watch 'em. Kept 'em out for a week, put 'em back again...no further problem. Damnedest thing I ever saw. Paid for Vet call...what else is new?

Neighbor lost two cows same time period, same type pasture right next door. Rest of his herd okay.

Comment

Had to put down one heifer yesterday - she was on the mend but the after effects are just too painful. Her whole skin had hardened and dried out with a sun burn type effect and was starting to peel off in places. It was obviously very painful for her to walk about and with the mosquitoes and risk of maggots getting starter under the peeling skin I decided it was better to put her down. Oh well - there goes any profit I might have made off my yearling grazing enterprise this year.
                A couple of steers are showing slight after affects but will be OK. The red animals have not suffered the hardening skin deal only the tan or white charolais so I guess that's another advantage to red cattle.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...