• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

blue stone....??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blue stone....??

To my surprise when I went to buy a bag of copper sulfate this spring (one bag lasts me 4 years!) I am told that it has been removed from the market place. Bad...very bad stuff the clerk told me.

I told her so is algae...so what was I to do now?

But...I have discovered it really isn't "off" the market. You can buy it pre-mixed in 4 Lt jugs at $65.00 a pop!!

Who are the do-gooders who have decided we can not be trusted to dilute our own solution of blue-stone?

Wouldn't want ranchers putting copper sulfate in their dugouts to prevent algae and God knows what else, aka: BSE. Since BSE is associated with a decrease in copper supply which can predispose the animal to neurological damage.

You should put your experience in a letter to the CFIA and ask them why you can't get powdered "blue-stone" anymore. (I'll check with my own stores).

When a couple near Prince Albert, Saskatchewan experienced a terrible death loss of their goats (a few years ago), the UofS expert told the media they starved them (lack of proper protein levels in the diet). Fact was, the goats were copper deficient. Why?
    Because the couple could no longer get the copper boluses they used to supplement minerals in their goats. The slow-release copper-mineral boluses came from the UK and the CFIA stopped their import. I got this info from the couple themselves. As for starving their goats - this was BS, as the feed testing was a joke. The lady with the goats, found out for herself, from a UofS pathologist - that the goats were copper deficient.

Comment

ivbinconned: phone around...surely some supplier must have it.

If not, UFA here in AB used to have it...phone one close to the border and see if they still stock it.

Probably wouldn't pay to come here for it but if you have a relative here, he/she could pick it up for you and bring it to you later.

Comment

When you find it buy enough to finish your career. 10 bags to do 40 years.

Comment

Yesterday I was on the phone with CFIA...they then refered me to "Health Canada". This guy seemed un-aware of it being pulled from the market and said he knew of no such action.

He thought the company that produced it had just stopped doing so.

So I did call around and found some at a different dealer...at least they say they have it. I will pick it up today and let you all know.

40 bags! 2 or 3 should last till I am finished!

I told the guy from Health Canada that I could buy a diluted mix of it but not the concentrate powder. Something like Tim Hortons mixing my cream and sugar for me.

We just can't be trusted!!

Comment

I work at a Co-op in Sask and we have it in stock. We just ordered more last week in the 55 lb bags

Comment

ivbinconned - I'd a picked up some here and brought it to ya for the price of a tank of gas.

Comment

Got some from another feed dealer. "Product of Russia" it says on the bag!!??

WD...your gas is ready.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...