• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what do you think of this?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what do you think of this?

So maybe someone noticed that the future of the cattle industry in this country is in jeopardy?

From the Manitoba Co-operator

Canada's national cattle producers' group plan to test-run a nationwide mentorship initiative for young producers with a pilot program in Alberta starting in July.

The Canadian Cattlemen's Association on Wednesday rolled out its new Cattlemen's Young Leaders (CYL) Development Program, expected to provide "industry-specific" training and mentorship opportunities to producers between the ages of 18 and 35.

The program is meant to help provide younger producers with the "expertise and business acumen necessary to sustain the cattle industry into the future."

The CYL program will be rolled out nationally following completion of the pilot phase in Alberta, with six Alberta producers participating, supported by Alberta Beef Producers.

The province's Alberta Livestock and Meat Agency (ALMA) is on board as a "major funder" of the CYL program through its Industry Development Program, with an investment of $198,900.

The CYL program will offer a combination of formal and informal mentorship opportunities to learn from "leaders in the beef cattle industry as well as from other youth organizations with a focus on mentorship."

The CCA said its project is meant to "set in motion a generation focused on optimizing opportunities for beef cattle producers," by offering two types of mentorship: an industry leader mentorship program, and a professional mentorship program.

Under the CYL's industry leader mentorship program, eligible producers can choose to be mentored by beef industry leaders from the CCA, including board members and committee chairs, and participate in CCA committees and conferences.

Participants in the professional mentorship program would be exposed to direct mentoring with select cattle industry individuals and professionals in a beef-related profession, such as a cattle operator, pharmaceutical representative or veterinarian.

On successful completion of a mentorship, a qualified participant can apply to the CCA's international partnership program, offering opportunities to represent Canada's beef industry at international forums such as the Five Nations Beef Alliance held recently in New Zealand.

"Leaders of tomorrow need to know today what this industry is all about and with our experience and knowledge, and their ambition and desire and technical knowledge, we can work together to be successful," John Schooten, a producer at Monarch, Alta. and co-chair of the CCA's value creation and competitiveness committee, said in the association's release.

The CCA said Wednesday it's "actively looking for partners" in the program to offer mentors, mentorship tools or forums that would benefit program participants. Those interested can contact Jill Harvie at harviej@cattle.ca or 403-274-5686.

garabteed they will run a saliva test on the applications to see if you support ABP and CCA. If not sorry. lol

Comment

I'm curious as to who exactly these experts are that the young producers will be learning from. If these people are truly experts, then the entire industry needs to learn from them since the industry is in the toilet. I think the worst thing that young producers should do is learn from people who have put the industry where it is today. If they do, then the industry won't change, and that is what's needed.

Comment

I agree. I think it would be interesting to do a poll on farmers who've been in business for at least 30 years, and see how many have Ag degrees.

I've seen more than a few university educated experts who failed at farming, and then got government or financial jobs advising others. Or scarier yet, got elected to parliament and were put in charge of ag policy.

I'm really not sure what they're teaching at university, but they need to have more people instructing who've actually been there done that.

Comment

another diversion from the real issues.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...