• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian Beef Regains Market Access in China - Ted Haney, President of CBEF

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Beef Regains Market Access in China - Ted Haney, President of CBEF

</embed></object>

This appears to be the result of years of commitment to the process in trying to normalize trade with China. Whether you are a exporting technology devices, clothing or beef, China is a market that everyone aspires to access. This appears to b a major success by the Canadian trade team and they should be congratulated.

Some producers challenge these sort of announcements because there is not an immediate impact at the farm gate level. Ranchers and feeders want financial stability and this leans the industry incrementally closer to a pre-BSE marketing normal. Let me put it to you this way, would you rather the Chinese market didn't open up? Of course not.

Stay positive people because this is positive news for our Canadian beef industry. Am I drinking the Kool-aid? Well I guess time will tell.

It's pretty hard to be optimistic anymore. I am harvesting the biggest hay crop I have ever had and wouldn't have to buy hay this coming winter. Not sure if the cows will be here for another round.

I've culled a bunch, the herd is getting small and there's no money to buy replacements.

Would a $1.50 market this fall make the difference?

I don't think so. It would take a lot of $1.50 fall markets.

Comment

Yeah, it's real easy to scold the dumb peasants for being doubters - we should all be celebrating. The arrogance of the statement "Ranchers and feeders want financial stability and this leans the industry incrementally closer to a pre-BSE marketing normal." trips easily off the lips of those getting their living off the backs of producers rather than someone in the trenches. How we can expect to get back to "pre-BSE marketing" normal while the dollar has gone from mid 60s cents to par with the American?

Comment

The only way this may help is if a group like Canada Gold, or a new player in the Balzac Plant or somewhere else were to grab some market share in China. The other two business icons we are currently dealing with in the conventional market have little interest in changing a lucrative model created by the lack of willingness by our industry leaders to change the way our industry does business.

Comment

Randy, you are correct. It may give a smaller player a chance to get something going.

Comment

My thinking exactly. If it brings new faces to the table, then good. If not, then things won't change that much for a long time.

And not soon enough for a large portion of our primary producers. I don't think anyone who's got it in their mind to cut and run now is going to be convinced to wait out another couple of years on the promise of better prices. I've lost count of how many times in the past seven years we've been told, "As soon as _______ happens (fill in the blank)things are going to turn around"

Did they? No they did not.
            Does anyone really believe such promises any more? No they do not.

I just wish they would see that this is only addressing half of the problem. If they continue to neglect the cow calf producer, it's just smoke and mirrors.

Comment

First, I'd like to thank Mr Haney and the CBEF staff for their efforts in lobbying to have incremental staged access to China. Access to that market is very important to the beef industry in Canada.
              Second, I'd like to point out that CBEF will not sell one pound of Canadian meat into that market.
              Mr Haney, i don't know where you've been for the past 7 years but there is no trickle down effect...never has and probably never will be. Most cattle producers have over a grade 2 education and can operate a calculator so we haven't seen that $270/head increase you've mentioned. What we see is that our fats are still below $90/cwt and trading less than our US counterparts despite a $.95 dollar. Sorry Ted, I know you're smarter than that. What this industry needs to do is take their check-off dollar and invest in a focused producer led marketing initiative. Only then will the major packers pay attention and give us some of their profits. Check out www:beefindustryalliance.ca

Comment

And here's one more thing - when was China ever known to consistently live up to its commitments?

When one signs an agreement with the Chinese, it should be with the understanding that primarily,they are getting what they want and the rest of the bargain is coincidental and discretionary..

Comment

Is that all that different from signing a deal with the U.S.???? They selectively live up to agreements that they sign as well.

Think softwood lumber, MCOOL, two million challenges to the Wheat Board, neverending attempts to stop hogs and cattle being imported, and so on, and so on, and so on........ But when NAFT is a benefit to them, then it's carved in stone.

The sad truth of international trade is that too many countries consider a trade agreement to be just a guideline. We need to remember that.

Comment

I guess I am with Burnt, 2 more cattle guys just quit here. I am working for a grain farmer who seeded old pasture stands to canola. He took over 1000 acres this year off of former cattle guys. Other guys are wondering aloud what they should do. It basically like one guy said "I like the cattle but I need to be paid something for my time" Then there's the government sending out reports of how much cattle guys are losing. We have a good operation going here but when calves that have been on the ground here for a year are still not worth $500?????

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...