• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prairie Summit

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prairie Summit

This was posted by BMR on Ranchers.net and I was curious what Agrivillers had to say.

I got invited to sit in on a panel discussion at the Canadian Geographical Society conference. The panel will discuss
    "How are rural environments changing and how, in turn, are residents, communities and governments dealing with rapid socio-economic and environmental changes? "
    Here is how it works<The panel discussion is intended to be informal yet structured, following a set of focus points to help facilitate discussion. Each panelist will have 8-10 minutes maximum to address the following points based on your own experience:

a. discuss 2-3 points you feel are most important to understanding rural change in a grasslands context, focusing on perceived challenges as well as positive change;

b. reflect on 2-3 lessons learned from your personal interaction with others living and working in the context of grasslands conservation and development (e.g. academics, First Nations, government, ranchers, environmentalists, etc.);

c. suggest 2-3 ways we can work together to improve relationships and address mutual challenges (e.g. perceived opportunities to improve community-researcher relationships, practice, research).

Since I am the only rancher on the panel the other man is with the WWF wanting to turn the Northern Great Plains into a "Buffalo Common" and the three ladies are from academia I thought this would be a good chance to get our voices heard.
    How about those of you with and interest and an opinion give me some insight on this topic. Post it here or in a PM is fine

I wouldn't waste my time with this panel, they have an agenda and their goal IS to turn the prairies into a buffalo park.

We had the University of Guelph out hear "interviewing" us (a couple years ago). They asked very similar questions, with the main jist being "how will you change practices to survive under the global warming crisis ie: drought etc."

After the two students interviewed us and many others in the community; they returned about a year later with their Professors, who proceeded to tell us the best move we could make was "leave the palliser triangle asap".

You'll be wasting your time and breath, so far as I can see. But it's yours to do so, if you think it will help. There are some good folks involved I certain, but there are those who will use you to further their own careers and keep their income flowing (grants etc)...

Comment

If we just roll over we get what is coming to us. This could be an opportunity to teach and educate. There are all sorts of ecological goods and services that as Stewards of native prairie we provide. Not the least of which is habitat for the very fuzzy creatures that pull at the heart strings of these folks. If we let them run roughshod without at least trying we missed an opportunity and just hand them the ball.

Comment

Good for you per. You're absolutely right and as frustrating as it might be we need to be active in getting out the message that ranchers are still the best stewards of the land

Comment

Per, I wish you well enlightening the urban masses but for what they are worth here are my 2 cent suggestions.

Comment

Wrong key. I'll try again.
            a. Rural change. The biggest rural change is depopulation. Apart from the human sociological aspects there is a definite increase in wildlife numbers and variety. Of course this only applies to the real rural areas not those in the urban shadow.

Comment

Wrong key again. Guess I'm not up on this version of word perfect. To continue: The other rural change is better management of native grasslands. When my grandfathers homesteaded they were required to break land to fulfill their contract. That would never happen now and more land is reverting slowly to a native state than is being broke up.
              b. Guess that is your call Per. Mine would be that the best decision maker is the one closest to the land.
              c. I'm tempted to suggest that the researchers and academics studying us and our land find real jobs whereby we might approve of their career. Seriously, I feel they must cede to our seniority in the area. If they want to conduct ecological and social experiments let them do them in areas that are already under gov't control. That would be parks, community pastures, etc.
              Good Luck. HT

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...