• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaking News

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking News

This is for those of us too far from Red Deer. I bet Randy's still at the hall, and it's already on the news.

From discovermoosejaw.com

Work continues on a massive class action lawsuit on behalf of over 135,000 cattle producers who claim the BSE crisis was caused by negligence on behalf of the federal government.

In April 2005, a claim was filed alleging negligence on the part of the federal government for allowing BSE into the Canadian herd through the import of British cattle.

"You know, with these cattle producers sometimes their gut feelings and their intuition is pretty solid," said lawyer Cameron Pallet. To date, the allegation hasn't been proven in court.

Pallet and his colleagues are seeking $100,000 in general damages, the same in aggravated damages and damages for past, present and future loss of income for each producer.

The mad cow crisis erupted in May 2003 when BSE was discovered in an Alberta cow. On Wednesday, 1500 hundred cattle producers took part in an information rally in Red Deer.

Repeat.....

On Wednesday, 1500 hundred cattle producers took part in an information rally in Red Deer.

Way to go!

I wasn't able to make it but on the radio they said a couple hundred. Randy got to say his piece over the airwaves.

Comment

If they want to say 1500, who are we to stop them? ;-)

It was on the radio here at noon too, but I wasn't near one.

Comment

Yep, the 200 number was more like it. Excellent media turnout though - well done Randy! A good meeting the central message being that producers need to get out and back this if there is to be a chance of an early settlement. Same old story - call for 1500 - get 200 - the rest can't be bothered. Apathy rules as usual. Folks we get what we deserve.

Comment

Let's give it a bit of time before we get glum about it. A couple of weeks ago no one even knew about it. This is the kind of issue that really needs people to see others on board before they commit. I really believe this.

With an issue this big, not everyone wants to be the first to stand up, but the more people do, the more will join in.

It's like a snowball, and if Canadians know about anything, it's snowballs. ;-) This is just the first step, and thanks to the hard work of Randy and friends, it's a good one.

Comment

Read again folks!!
            http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/03/31/alberta-red-deer-bse-lawsuit-rally-calgary.html

Comment

We need to slap enough posts up there to get that vegan to the second page.

Comment

We may not have had the numbers and "I" may not be able to get the press out like that again ----- LOL ... But we got em and we got the message out and we got the ball rolling. Next up???? Looks like maybe Ontario.

Comment

Press wise Randy you accomplished your goal. It has been on many different sources. Keep rolling east as Kato says it will snowball. As far as the crowd goes 150-200 is respectable given that many of us are calving and the dirt scratchers are gearing up. Grassfarmer calls it apathy but sometimes it is not practical to leave your calving cows for 8 hours in the middle of the day.

Comment

You know what I meant Per, not everyone is calving and I wasn't criticizing those who are. There is a pattern though - goes back to the BIG rallies across the country when it was said they needed 20,000 producers to turn out at the various rallies to show a critical groundswell of support for the campaign to make Government sit up and listen. When it comes down to it they just won't turn out. It's the same this time around we need the critical mass to make it work - not to turn up to meetings but to get in their MPs faces, make their points known and demand a settlement. Will they do it?

Comment

Yes I know what you meant GF, and unfortunately you are likely correct. Being the eternal optimist I am however, I think that critical mass can be reached. And yes I have made some noise in the political circles. Of course they tune us out like background noise.

Comment

I really feel that the people who showed were an awesome group. Lots of well thought out questions and a consistent answer from Mr. Pallett. This issue will go to trial if the producers of this country do not get behind it.

There were at least three open ended invitations for Cam to come and make a presentation in other parts of Alberta and a serious request from Ontario on my phone last night while we were waiting for Mr. Pallett's plane.

There is no doubt in my mind that we started "something" yesterday. Expectations are challenging at the best of times, however we all know that one step in front of the other is the only way to get anywhere.

Those of you on here who have any interest whatsoever need to read the claim on the bse class action web site. Then suggest a read to someone else, and contact your MP.

The story is not that complex --- in fact it is very very simple. There was negligence and there will be compensation for that negligence.

I am always challenged to believe that people in the position of power defined by government could be so damn dumb.

And here I was trying to keep my ego intact today....LOL

Have a wonderful day everyone and givershit. Even though Ms. Mary told me not to swear when I have a mike in my hand????

Randy

Comment

Thank you Randy for all the work.

Comment

This thread is linked to Siemenssays.com now, so I would like to welcome anyone from Manitoba who is interested in the campaign for a quick resolution to this issue.

We all know what an uphill fight it's been just to stay in business since 2003, but it really is in our best interests to find the strength and the will to fight one more fight.

Unless we stand up for ourselves, no one is going to stand up for us. According to responses I've gotten from my letters to Mr. Ritz, I have come to the conclusion that the cattle producers of this country have been written off by our government. I have been told directly from his office that there will be no fix for safety net programs, and that it is time for producers to think of finding another way to make a living. They call it making a "business decision", which is another way of saying you're on your own.

Is this the kind of support we should expect from our elected officials? I always used to think that the role of a government is to protect it's citizens. I have to say that over the past seven years, protection is the last thing we've gotten from our government, whether the former Liberals, who dropped the original ball, and the current Conservatives, who seem to have no intention of making things right.

Basically it's like this. We're on our own. If we don't have the will or the courage to stand up for ourselves, then we have no right to complain about the sorry state of affairs we find ourselves in.

We've been given an opportunity to make a real difference in our futures, and we should not waste it. Our case is strong, and if we all really get behind the case, we could knock years off the time it takes to get some justice.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...