• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Class Action Rally

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amen kato. The biggest challenge I see society facing is bridging the disconnect between food producers and the urban masses. About 19 out of 20 people are not involved in food production. We must try to get them interested in where their food comes from. Otherwise their priorities are not going to be farming friendly.

Comment

From what I hear from people at the farmer's market, they are interested in where their food comes from right now. What they don't know is what else they can do about it, other than come and buy tomatoes from me. Lots would like to take that next step, but aren't sure what that would be.

The local food movement is gaining momentum, and has some very committed people promoting it. I think that if people like all of those who visit this forum really got out there and made an effort to connect with those people, we could make some changes.

We don't all have to start hauling beef off to the farmers market, but we can do lots to help fuel a demand for local sustainable beef that would help all of us. If people begin to realize just how spectacular that beef we all eat is, that has been processed the old fashioned way in the local abbatoir, they will start to ask for it at the store.

Those requests are what will drive the whole thing. It all follows the money, and if retail was to realize the potential market, it might help to start to turn things around.

Local beef needs the "cool" factor, and I don't mean the kind of cool that we've been dealing with.

Comment

I should add the fact that in my mind, local can include anything from the farmer down the road, to beef from the whole of Canada.

Comment

If anyone is seriously organizing some kind of rally,
          providing it's not on a Monday or a Tuesday, I will
          certainly do my best to attend.
          I have interviewed Mr. Pallett and have the utmost
          confidence in his research and perhaps his most
          intriguing quality – his passion for this case and the
          issue at its heart.
          In fact, if he's willing, I hope to do an update in the
          near future as I have started my own newspaper
          with a wider audience and believe the topic
          warrants frequent attention.
          I can be reached at sheri@thebadger.ca or at 306-
          628-4349.
          Good luck!

Comment

I wonder if McDONALDS is seving CANADIAN BEEF BURGER at the OLYMPICS!

Comment

Welcome to Agri-ville, Sheri!

dluther, ya, I'm pretty sure it's Canadian beef. Their marketing manager was at the MCPA annual meeting, and says it is so. He was quite insistent on it.

But does it have big maple leaf signs on it? I sure hope so!

Comment

If you accept the "Prion theory" as cause, you
                endanger the future of the cattle industry and the
                ability of landowners to raise animals on their land.

My hubby and I are probably the only producers to
                have already opted out of the class action law suit.
                Not that I don't agree with the idea that the suit
                might win based on a balancing of evidence, and
                the legal opinion of a judge (who knows zip about
                this). Basing his judgement on the information
                presented to him.

The researchers pushing for the prion theory, fail to
                admit that this is a end-product of disease - not
                the cause.

Going with their well pushed theory, they will have
                a future impact which will state, that should they
                find evidence of prions in the soil - than no animals
                will be allowed to be raised on that land. AKA -
                your "Premise ID" will be flagged and you will be
                shut down - placed in either an animal health
                "surveillance zone, control zone, or quarantine
                zone"; or worse yet, the land will be deemed unfit
                for meat/food production.

Once you take a payment from this class action
                settlement/judgement.... you will forever be unable
                to file suit against the Canadian government on this
                subject. You accept the prion theory.... you are not
                able to change your "legal" stand in the future...
                when the truth is finally revealed.

You will not be able to argue that your land IS ok
                for raising animals, when the CFIA finds the so-
                called infectious agent in your soil. You can't have
                your cake and eat it too!

Comment

Kathy,

I raelly hope that you don't truly believe that BS, because I do respect your decision to opt-out on a principled basis. Some others prefer to fire shots while remaining class members on the chance they may collect a cheque at the end of the day. At least you have shown the courage of your convictions.

However, having said that, I have to tell you that you could not be more incorrect, misinformed and inaccurate concerning the legal implications of being a class member following a decision at trial or reaching a settlement.

It is true that class members will be bound by the result in the BSE class action. Hopefully that means they will have the right to cash their cheques. It also means that they will not be able to sue the Feds again for negligence or misfeasance in allowing BSE from imported British cattle into the Canadian herd thereby causing or contributing to the closure of international borders to Canadian cattle and beef on May, 20 2003. Period.

Neither can you, for that matter, on whatever causation theory you like (depleted uranium from Cold Lake was the last one I recall), as the six year limitation period under the Crown Liability and Proceedings Act has passed (it being more than six years ago now that the border closed).

With respect to anything else you or the class members can come up with regarding BSE to sue the Feds over, including your latest contamination theory, you can all go right ahead.

Comment

Glad I never pinned down the date yet. Will be chatting with the "man" at Red Deer westerner grounds tomorrow and will shoot for Wednesday March 31st. Everyone I have talked with so far has been good to go any time that week but we would not want to "not" have the presence of Miss Sherry Monk who for what ever reason has chosen to predict her own future for us here on Agriville.

2 marriages here Ms. Sherry and working on getting into number 3. Everything good happens in three's after all. And besides that --- I have learned to shut my mouth and bite my lip and -- of course--- trust the universe and the fact that we are all exactly where we are all supposed to be ---- all of the time. Our purpose will eventually be shown to us all.

I know mine..... or not --- LOL

Comment

Oh yes --- I still plan to fire shots about the transmission theory from time to time Mr. Pallett, but need some money to pay for powder. Hope you can make it out to the rally with that violin totin hubby of yours Kathy. Maybe he can play a final sad song for the feds once we are through with them.

Comment

CPallett, six years since the first case..... not six years
                        since the last case. The government is not letting us
                        test, because they know there will be many more
                        cases found if we did. Same goes for the USA not
                        allowing their producers to test. If the opportunity
                        comes to sue in the future, I'm sure we will be able to
                        find a good lawyer to take it on.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...