• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bale shredding at feed bunks how fine?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bale shredding at feed bunks how fine?

I shred for the cows with processor set to long length to reduce fines. I wonder if I should change to short at the feed bunk for the calves. My thought is less stocky alfalfa more fines more paletable?

Maybe more palatable and probably higher consumption with less work for the ruman. Depends on whether you are back grounding for grass or feedlot.

Comment

For calves, depends on if fed by itself or mixed in a TMR ration. In a TMR ration my recommendation would be as long as you can go and yet avoid separation of feed in the trough. The more rumen activity the better.
      If fed by it's self then the above is still somewhat correct without really full length. Cattle as you know get smart an nose around separating long from better. My guess without looking at the quality of the feed and moisture 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches makes a nice ration if they will eat it again without separating it.

Comment

No cash for a TMR wagon yet. Length looks to be 2 inch and we add rolled barley on top morning & night. I think they are consuming more now. We only feed every other day so we cannot limit feed too what they can all clean up.

Comment

We are feeding for feedlot sale, likely mid March.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...