• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do we do it???

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do we do it???

Some one asked that question before christmas...we all know its not for the money lol...but today was one of those days where life answers the question for you...it was a sunny warm day (we reached 8degC)in the Okangan valley...our first calf hit the ground running...and i MEAN running...it was one of those heifers who believes that the sun and the world indeed revolves around her...she tore around the calving pen in the fresh shavings at a million miles an hour bucking, crow hopping...careening off fences and sheds and just generally had a FABULOUS first day of life...and it made me think about the first crew cut of summer...and running the hills untethered and free...vs

I hear you.

One of my favourite things ever is to go out to the cow shed on a warm March day, when the sun is beaming in, then sit in a nice deep pile of straw and let the calves all come around for a visit. Then when Hubby feeds the cows, and they're around the feeders, space opens up for the mini stampedes. Fifty calves in a pack with their tails in the air just tearing around the pen is what does it for me.

Comment

It was good to read this thread because that question has been dogging me hard lately. Buying hay has a way to making that question press hard. There's nothing like seeing those rambunctious little rascals tearing across the field in the evening with their tails spiked straight in the air, running like the old harry is right behind them!

Nice post.

Comment

First calf of the season and taking
        pride in how well they do and how they
        grow over the summer. I can literally
        waste an hour leaning on a fence
        watching the calves, or going out just
        before dark in the spring and watching
        them run tails up over their backs.
        It is a sad day when true cattlemen and
        women have to sell their herds and no
        longer have the opportunity to enjoy
        some of these things.

Comment

Almost forgot we bought some sows and one had little ones on Jan 3rd ,[9 still have 8 ]the other day 4 little ones where out playing in the yard then they saw me watching them and back in the barn to a carring mother,it was priceless. In the other pen a sow was rootig the ground it must have been hard becuase the boar was helping her push. HAVE A GOOD DAY

Comment

It is a good post for sure--I have been talking to a lot of cattlemen and women this week and this thread seems to come through from so many of them--they do love their cattle and they love to watch them out on pasture and the babies just do it for them--it is why they hang on when financially no other business would keep its doors open. We find ways to feed them and keep them well until the next year and the hope of fresh pastures comes--no one who does not love cattle and their calves can possibly understand--I can relate to all the posts--watching the babies romp and run in the spring--watching them grow--there is nothing better to bring down my blood pressure than to invest some time in watching and enjoying the cows and calves.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...