• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parliament shut down again.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only way things will change is if we farmers grain cattle hogs whatever let all political parties know that our vote is not to be taken for granted. That's what is happenning here too many conservatives simply voting conservative no matter what so why would they do anything good for us. They are as useless if not more so than any liberal government in regards to agriculture yet what is it your pride standing in the way of saying so, Do Little Ditz what has he done???????? Oh yeah moving Cais to sask wow how brilliant now we're saved. Oh yeah improved Cais now if you don't put your money up front into agriinstability you don't get the government share, Gee thanks alot and again how brilliant, 2 cattlemen younger families next to me didn't have the cash so missed the deadline and no money mean while some that don't need it gettin a free be.
    Like I overheard the other day Conservatives = Rich man's party ( bought off son of a ******* no different and certainly no better than any other party so why the blind support?)

Comment

Well sagewood, I am forced to agree with much of what you have to say. I may have a more favourable view of our chances, but that is probably a result of a combination of inside information and to-the-bone commitment, sprinkled with a touch of quixotism.

Whether Minister Ritz is willing to admit it or not, the long term plan appears to be to allow attrition to cut back the industry to the point where Canadian producers are supplying domestic needs only. That means an awful lot of families out of the business. Then the government can institute a Beef Marketing Board and fully regulate the industry. Yes, supply management. Of what little is left. Not a pretty picture, but strikes me as inevitable if the political neglect of the plight of Canadian cattle producers continues.

I also agree with Kato that the time to make a concerted effort to get on the politicians' radar is now. Right now.

Seems to me that the Feds have nothing to lose and much to gain by agreeing to appoint a retired Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada to mediate, as they did with the Residential Schools class action. The Feds would gain political credit with not only cattle producers, but urbanites as well (at 92% approval, farming is the most respected and trusted profession in Canada - believe it or not).

An independent mediator would also provide an independent professional view of the merits of the BSE class action. Right now the politicians are getting their opinions on the case from the very organizations accused. Sort of like asking the thief to investigate the robbery. Makes the results of the investigation rather predictable, don't you think? One would hope the politicians would want to have an independent opinion, especially considering the stakes.

Mediation is not binding, the point being to explore whether a jointly agreed settlement proposal can be achieved. Any proposal would have to be approved by Cabinet in any event, so there is really no commitment by the Feds, except to the process, and thus no risk. Should the Feds decide to accept any proposal that comes from mediation, they would certainly have lots of justification considering the ability, reputation and respect of the mediator. Of course, maybe grassfarmer is right, and the mediator will tell us to just go away. That would save time and expense and free up resources now, rather than having this thing drag on for years.

Should the Feds decide to settle, it is our view that not only would they be redressing failures of past governments and providing help to an industry that was (and is) the backbone of Canadian agriculture, they would also be providing the most effective economic stimulus package possible.

We all know that a cattle producer would rather drink his or her own bile than pay taxes. If the settlement payout is taxable, it will hit the ground running, to say the least. Either in paying down debt (which frees up credit) or spent on infrastructure (which stimulates the economy). Plus, any settlement funds are not countervailable under the rules of NAFTA, GATT or WTO. Nice touch.

Yes, the Feds can rag the puck for years if they choose to do so. In our view the correct moral, political and national interest thing to do would be to sit down and explore the validity of both the law and the evidence presented in a mediation setting.

Makes so much sense that the cynic in me says it will never happen. On the other hand, the unyielding faith in me says it will.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Thanks for not forgetting us. At least someone is thinking about us, besides ourselves.

I agree on the supply management scenario. If we reduce to where we only supply Canada's needs, we will for sure only have one packer left. That will make supply management the only alternative if we want to stay in business.

I find it amazing that the government officials are running around the world pounding on doors to open new export markets, while the supply system to provide the beef for those markets is collapsing.

The operation was a success, but the patient died.

Comment

Sorry Cam, but I don't see the supply management thing in my quixtal quixotismal ball.

What the hell is quixsotism anywhooo?

Anything we can do to push the mediation thing?

Comment

Awesome -- explains my life LOL

Quixotism (English pronunciation: /kwɪˈksɒtizm̩/) is impracticality in pursuit of ideals, especially those ideals manifested by rash, lofty and romantic ideas or extravagantly chivalrous action.[1] It also serves to describe an idealism without regard to practicality. An impulsive person or act might be regarded as quixotic.

Quixotism is usually related to "over-idealism", meaning an idealism that doesn't take consequence or absurdity into account. It is also related to naïve romanticism and to utopianism.

Comment

That has also been referred to as Don Quixote-itis. You should know that Randall, given the number of years you have been tilting at windmills.

The 'mediation thing', provided that the mediator is the best of the best, offers a genuine shot at a true win-win for all concerned. My experiences with you folks (much as I love you) tell me that I have a better shot at successfully navigating the Chisolm Trail with a herd of cats than getting all and sundry to pull together politically, so I will leave it up to each and every one to determine in their own mind whether the idea is worth supporting, and how best to help push it along. Meanwhile, you can rest assured I will be doing my bit.

All the best, all the time.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...