• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expansion of CFB Wainwright

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expansion of CFB Wainwright

I know there must be a few ranchers on this message board that live in the vicinity of CFB Wainwright (Alberta). I'd like feedback and information from affected local ranchers who are being asked to sell their operations so CFB Wainwright can expand its land base. They have, in the past, purchased a block of land on the east side of Highway 41.

We have a new neighbor from the Chauvin area who is in the process of selling out to the Department of Defense. He told us some of the ranchers are not too happy about being asked to sell their operations and move; and they aren't cooperating. The DOD, however, is trying to pursuade them without resorting to "expropriation" of the land.

CFB Wainwright is being used for "live-fire" exercises with an emphasis on tank manueuvers. What will they do with Highway 41, if they purchase alot more land east of the highway? Certainly, they will have to redirect the traffic either to the west or east?

If there are any websites that anybody knows about that discuss the expansion of this Alberta base,please let me know. If you don't want to respond on this message board, please feel free to e-mail me at lkczar@hotmail.com Thanks. (thats a little L, not a one)

One of the reasons, I am asking about this expansion, is that by obtaining the land via private sale, versus expropriation, they appear to be side-stepping any environmental impact studies. These studies would be very revealing, no doubt.

Another comment by our new neighbor (formerly of Chauvin) was that the AB government wants to get rid of all the deer on our eastern border with Saskatchewan (CWD surveillance zones).... I can't imagine this working, if you get rid of some, more will move in sooner, than later. They'd have a few thousand elk to destroy also, since Suffield has let them breed like rabbits on their base. We even had a few elk around our place this summer, moose too.

Maybe they want to come North and pay a
    bunch. I had not heard of a base
    expansion, but they have had land east of
    41 for quite a while. I would think an
    EIA should be required no matter how the
    land is acquired.

Comment

I received this email correspondence from my MLA, Kevin Sorenson, in regards to my questions about the expansion plans for CFB Wainwright:

“CFB Wainwright has notified our office that the Department of National Defence has made the decision to not go ahead and expand the training area. All area landowners will be advised of this decision..."

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...