• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing dangle tags

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing dangle tags

We're supposed to have all our dangle tags changed by Jan 1st. Are we to cross reference all bar codes with the new RFID. If so, who will input all that data or will that again be the producer's responsibility. If not, what happens to all that traceability and herd of origin....or will they just scrap the idea of mandatory RFID tags??

We cross reference. Of course.....

Hopefully, anyone in Manitoba could bring their numbers to the nearest auction mart when the MCPA field rep is there. She goes all over the place and sets up at the auction marts to help age verify calves.

I would think she'd help cross reference? I would hope so, anyway.

Comment

Anything over 30 months the age doesn't matter anyway so I never cross referenced them or age verified them. The tags are reg to me and that is all I did. When I sell cattle I still know the batch of management tags that went. Next year for my records I will scan the tags we put in to cross to them. Anything from P on has the original age verified RFID tag. The bar codes are redundant anyway so no one will be scanning them again.

Comment

the real question is why is this our expense ???

Comment

I think we have everything on RFID as we
          have a pretty young cowherd, and I have
          replaced missing tags when we AI or at
          other times. Most of the floppies have
          fallen out long ago and were never
          "referenced" to be "cross-referenced".
          We are largely a single iron cowherd
          which also helps, and have not bought a
          cow in for 6 or more years. CCIA tags
          are referenced to a steel bangs tag
          number. Quite frankly if they want them
          cross referenced I guess they should
          write me a cheque or show up with a pair
          of tag pliers and I will be glad to
          comply. RFID is actually useful for
          management purposes so we use it for
          that.
          Thanks to Ken we now read every RFID
          prior to loading the truck and print a
          list with a date and signature stating
          the tags were in place when the truck
          was loaded.

Comment

I'm maybe being simplistic here but the only change I'm planning on making is slapping an RFID onto anything we ship that has a dangle tag on it. Up to now we have checked before shipping and put RFIDs on anything without a barcode tag. I won't be cross referencing anything as to date the CCIA system is only being used to prove herd of origin and as such individual tags numbers are irrelevant. I don't see any need to tag cows that are missing either kind until they leave the place - and I don't plan on starting to record tag #s shipped until a movement system is in place requiring it.
            Having said that our mostly younger herd is home raised and age verified and recent purchases are all RFID'd too. It's really only an issue of a few older cows that will be tagged when they get culled.

Comment

Hey guys! Don't you get the feeling that we're being smothered by red tape? The CCIA and Alberta AG are like the tax department; the more you give them the more they want. Its time for cattlemen to call their bluff on traceability and the erroneously named age verification. The market should drive these programs not George Groeneveld.

Comment

not only should it be market driven...but...it is another "cost" that canadian producers have...american producers dont do it...

i want someone to show me exactly HOW we benefit from the extra time, danger and money??? vs

Comment

I'm getting a little tired of the cow/calf producer picking up the tab while others are at the trough
                  1) The cost of tags to producers in Alberta will be over $7 million each year
                  2) When mandatory On farm Food safety is imposed, the cost will be in excess of $10 million for enrollment
                  3) The ABP and CCA are suggesting that we give $24 million to the packers for their SRM costs
                  If we continue with this debaucle, we will loose the cow/calf producers and most of them have invested in excess of $3000/cow unit for their ranches so the loss to the industry will be in excess of $6 billion

Comment

How will we benefit from the extra cost and danger?

Everyone knows that! We'll benefit from gaining access to new markets, which we've all seen has paid us back generously so far. After all, when new markets are opened, we get the benefits directly due to the effects of the trickle down effect that works so well. It must be so because that's what we've been told to believe.

NOT........... (this is where I would love to insert about 10 of those rolling eyes smileys from RN. LOL)

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...