• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABP Breton meeting

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABP Breton meeting

I've got to congratulate the organisers and particularly the chairwoman (Brenda Schoepp) of the ABP meeting in Breton last night. 100% turnaround from recent years. The meeting was chaired properly from start to finish and democracy flourished as a result - I even got home by midnight! What a difference from last year when the chairman was speaking in opposition to some of the resolutions producers put forward. Perhaps there is a change in attitude among the delegates in the new climate - they certainly were not jumping in to oppose every resolution that they didn't like, again being properly chaired made it all run better.
    All 4 resolutions that I posted on the earlier resolutions thread were carried so I urge anyone who agrees with them to get out to their local meeting and propose these resolutions. If they are presented across the province there is a better chance of them being passed at the AGM.
    Here is a reminder of my 4 resolutions. For the preamble to each please see the previous thread.

1 "Be it resolved that Alberta Beef Producers request the Federal Government launch immediately an inquiry into the profitability of the beef processing and retailing sectors in Canada."

2 "Be it resolved that Alberta Beef Producers lobby the Federal and Provincial Governments to introduce parallel legislation in Canada to the "Marketing Fairness Act" in the United States."

3 "Be it resolved that the Alberta Beef Producers substantially amend their proposed refundable levy structure to ensure a simpler, less bureaucratic process that is easier for producers to use."

4 "Be it resolved that Alberta Beef Producers decrease their funding of the Canada Beef Export Federation to the levels contributed by the export members."

So has everyone lost interest in ABP or in beef production in general?

Comment

Just ABP...I find it funny with all the a$$ kissin goin on...

Comment

Our zone 8 meeting is this week. We have
        always been pretty active around here.
        Most times turnout will exceed 100. Some
        of the ALMA meetings were well over 600.
        I think most of your resolutions are
        pretty good GF. Can't do any harm to
        bring them forward. I am working on my
        schedule to attend Kitscoty.

Comment

Grassfarmer, I'm glad the meeting went well for you. I will be in Fort Macleod tonight and Longview on Thursday if anyone wants to say hello.

Sean, I went to Kitscoty a couple years ago. It worked well as I could stay with the family.

Comment

They always have it on/around my wife's
            birthday so it doesn't always work for me.
            While ABP is important, staying happily
            married is much more important to a
            balanced lifestyle...

Comment

They always have it on/around my wife's
              birthday so it doesn't always work for me.
              While ABP is important, staying happily
              married is much more important to a
              balanced lifestyle...

Comment

Words of wisdom.

Comment

We passed a resolution at the Pollockville mtg, resolving "ABP rescind their support for Premise Identification".

Also, another resolution passed was regarding ABP not supporting mandatory animal tracking practices (set to come into play in the future).

I note that the Government handout at this meeting re Premise ID states that ALL LANDS must be associated with a premise ID - NOT just the home quarter. Producers are thus encouraged to "co-operate" in the future with listing all their land, and the rented/leased lands that their animals may be grazing on.

When are we all going to wake up to this corporate take-over of our lives?

All producers have been given a Premise ID number by the government, whether you applied for the AFRP II payment or not. Reportedly, AB gov employee Marshall ? told a relative that there are still around 4,000 producers who haven't applied for their numbers - including my coz...but he had his/their numbers right here.

Once they have everyone cooperating with their little plan, then the sh*t will hit the fan. I suspect we will see some form of "managed" production system - like the dairy industry. That is if they don't shut us all down, or lock us down, due to some mysterious disease causing agent.

A third resolution was passed to support hot and freeze branding.

Comment

ABP Kitscoty was pretty well attended as
                    usual and there was a lot of debate
                    about refundable checkoff and when,
                    where and how to collect it and refund
                    it. Resolutions supporting
                    simplification of the refund process
                    were supported, as well as one to trim
                    the BOD and committees.
                    We also had zone elections, so we will
                    see what comes from that.
                    There was/is a lot of frustration with